Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
GaryDavies
Old Timer

Re: Release of GM Version 4.20

Post by GaryDavies »

Wonderful upgrade Art.

Just a small request:

The teeth on the escapement gear are very thin which works well for brass gears but not so well for wooden ones.
There is a lot of clearance ahead of the leading edge of each escapement tooth; is it possible to fill this in with extra tooth thickness?
This would make for a much stronger wooden tooth.

best regards, Gary
Attachments
clock.JPG
Last edited by GaryDavies on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alenz
Old Timer

Post by alenz »

Gary, my hat is off to you.  I only downloaded the latest GM version yesterday and spent about ? hour fiddling (of course without reviewing the tutorials   :)) and was happy to just get something that would actually go tic-tock!
I have a question; in your project does the animation move the minute and hour hands properly? Or another way to pose the question, can gears, i.e., the hour wheel, be placed on a co-axial but independent axis?
Al Lenz
Last edited by alenz on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaryDavies
Old Timer

Post by GaryDavies »

alenz wrote:
I have a question; in your project does the animation move the minute and hour hands properly? Or another way to pose the question, can gears, i.e., the hour wheel, be placed on a co-axial but independent axis?
Al Lenz
Hi Al,
The hour wheel IS placed on a co-axial and independent axis. Physically you would use one shaft inside a hollow shaft.
i.e. the minute hand would be mounted on the hollow (tube) shaft that carries the minute gear and pinion, and the hour gear and hand would be mounted on a shaft running inside the tube (which acts as a bushing).

Clear as mud?

regards, Gary

edit:
I've attached a small video of the clock running after fiddling around trying to make it under the 4000K limit. But now I notice it won't play with Windoze Media player directly but does work if downloaded to my desktop before playing  ??? ::)
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by GaryDavies on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Art

Great!  Thanks!

I don't have a way to test them, but the pawl cut fine and looks good, both in luaun and OB.  Omega-Bond will machine fine with the same feed and doc as cheap plywood, and the result looks like it should be good for gears and clock parts - the aluminum cladding really stiffens the poly core.  I think I owe the sign shop my (optimistically speaking) first Omega-Bond clock for giving me a stack of it.

Here's a couple pictures.

Kirk
Attachments
IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG
Last edited by Mooselake on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.