Bench stand for clock makers

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
David Morrow
Old Timer

Bench stand for clock makers

Post by David Morrow »

When I made my first clock, I wanted to mount it somewhere where it could stay put while I continued to make and add parts to it. I have a low height ceiling in my workshop so just hung a bit of MDF which I forced into a somewhat vertical position. It wasn't adjustable and wasn't quite what I wanted as a long term solution.

I recently started a new project while the previous one was still being debugged. So, I made a similar mount for the work bench but it too was less than satisfactory. I took a break from clock making and designed and made a clock mount that could be attached to my bench. It was inspired by the engine stands that I used to see in auto repair shops in my teens. It's universal so should be adjustable to fit just about any clock frame. I have an alternate clock mount without the arms, that's 10" x 24" that the clock frame would mount to directly. The clock mount can be locked from just under vertical and swung up to lock just past horizontal and any angle in between. I haven't seen anything like this before. So far, it's just about perfect for my needs.

Below is a ZIP file with the DXF's and a PDF describing the project and some improvements and some additional mounting options.

Email me for the latest DXF's as I have been making some regular changes to improve and simplify them. cnc AT ldrider.ca

Attachments
Clock-Bench-Mount-Ver-3.zip
(954.4 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
Last edited by David Morrow on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bench stand for clock makers

Post by ArtF »

now thats just VERY NICE!... I want one.. :)

Art
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

Would you like the DXF's ?
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

If you don't mind you can zip and post them here.  I'd like one, but I first have to build out the woodshop and some benches.  I suspect there's others here that are interested, too.

Nice work, both the stand and the clock!

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

I agree, post them here if you dont mid...another project I dont need, but thats one that can help alleviate others.. :)

Art
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

David,
That looks great! The stand and the clock. Since you mention DXF files, and from the look of the clock frame, I assume you are another one who cuts out parts with a CNC machine of some sort. Please do load up the stand design to the forum for the benefit of present and future members who may wish to copy it.

Kit
mphil
Old Timer

Post by mphil »

Really good.
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Wow! That's really a nice piece of work.  When I have a clock on my work stand I often want to mount the pendulum and so I need a meter clearance under the clock - does your stand allow for that?
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

John T wrote: Wow! That's really a nice piece of work.  When I have a clock on my work stand I often want to mount the pendulum and so I need a meter clearance under the clock - does your stand allow for that?
John, since making my original post above, and with some interest shown, I went back to my drawings and made a few improvements for flexibility because not everyone works alike. I added a wall mount and an extension which should fit your needs. Please let me know if it works for you. If you have any suggestions or require a change, I'm happy to do that.
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

I have put all of my DXF's into a ZIP file and attached them to my original post at the top. I also created and added a couple extra DXF's so that you can cut just the parts you need for a bench, wall, or ceiling mount too. I did everything in order to allow for maximum flexibility in use. But, having said that, I never met a DXF that I didn't modify to suit me and my tools and I expect that users of the DXF's will do the same. If you do, feel free to pass along your changes. If enough people decide to build one and there are enough improvements as a result, I'll change the DXFs. Let's just call it an Open Source project.

One other possible addition would be a swivel base. That might be nice for wall or ceiling mounts.

I also sat down at the keyboard and created a PDF with a bit of commentary and photo's.

kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

David,
Let me be the first to say 'thankyou' for making the effort to add modifications and notes. I'm definately going to make one before embarking on the assembly of my next clcok.

Regards

Kit
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

I got just a bit carried away today. I got more to thinking about this thing being more universal and adjustable so I came up with a swivel mount. I think that if this version is used, this configuration can be used on either the bench, wall or ceiling. Just shorten or lengthen the arm to suit.

Version 2 of the ZIP file is now located at the original post.

Last edited by David Morrow on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

Aren't CNC router tables wonderful?

Kit
David Morrow
Old Timer

Post by David Morrow »

All done. For now...

marklazarz