Tool Wizard

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
mrehmus
Old Timer

Tool Wizard

Post by mrehmus »

I cannot invoke the Tool Wizard by right-clicking a gear listed in the Project Tree. I am running V 2.30140 under Windows 7 Professional.

What am I doing wrong? What I really want to do is use a commercial gear cutter and the 4th axis of my mill but I don't see anyplace to select such a cutter. I don't mind making a custom cutter for this but I am not able to do either.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Mike Rehmus
Last edited by mrehmus on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tool Wizard

Post by ArtF »

Hi Mike:

This shoudl be as simple as selecting a gear on the tree, then pressing the
"Send to 4th axis" button on the properties tab on the bottom.

There is no tool wizard in Gearotic, but the 4th axis screen will allow you to generate
paths for a commercial gear cutter, or for any other. The toolbox button is on the top
menu bar once you send the gear to the 4th axis.

Is this the function you were looking for?

Thx
Art
mrehmus
Old Timer

Post by mrehmus »

Art,
It may be what I am looking for but the use of a formed commercial cutter such as these (http://www.amazon.com/Milling-Cutter-In ... R1P86CVCG4) is not obvious in the list of choices.

Is SlitSaws the correct choice for a commercial cutter? There is nothing to indicate this is so or am I looking in the wrong place again?

I think the Tool Wizard is of great use and don't mind creating specific tools for this purpose. It is good that I can run GM1 so I have access to the wizard. Before this, out of ignorance, I had used the gear shape as a Boolean cutter to develop a tool profile in 3D CAD although it was not so elegant as your wizard.

BTW, [font=Verdana]the Old Archive of Gearotic 1.0 (Click Here)[/font] on your Downloads page only gets the program .exe file, not the installation program so it is not useful I think.

I hope you will put the wizard back in the program.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

To use a shaped cutter such as those, dont use tangental, or rooting, just use the button
"Shaped Tool".  This selection is good for any cutter that needs only single passes deeper on each
pass. Select a slit saw, and they really are a type of saw , and to make the orientation proper,
but you dont need any other path than "Shaped Tool".

To use Gearotic 1.0, you need to unzip the Gearotic1.exe to the Gearotic folder. It will run only
from that folder as it holds support files required for its operation.

Thx
Art
mrehmus
Old Timer

Post by mrehmus »

Thanks Art,

I will try both the Tool Wizard-made tool and the commercial cutter.

I still like the Tool Wizard and it would be even more useful if it would also make single-tooth tools for use in a shaper. Many folks use their mill, lathe or even shaper to shape gears by shaving them with a cutter. I do recognize that I can use the generated gear tooth spaces to Boolean cut a tool shape for use in shaping.

Thanks,
Mike Rehmus
mrehmus
Old Timer

Post by mrehmus »

Art,

Another friend of mine wants to use the tool wizard (licensed user) and has a need for a tutorial on how the details of that wizard works.

Some time in the past, you detailed the wizard's workings in a posting on this forum. I found it last week but cannot find it today. Do you have a link to that posting that I can furnish him?

Thanks,
Mike
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Mike;

I believe you can get most of the videos from the new web site, www.gear2motion.com , at the bottom of each page shows the relative Youtube video link for starters.

Cheers
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Bob:

That wont do any good, the tool wizard is no longer in Gearotic2, only Gearotic1,
Im not sure of the video though... I cant recall what context I discussed it in..

Art
mrehmus
Old Timer

Post by mrehmus »

The context of your explanation was in a Tool Wizard posting. I just cannot find it again.