Functional overview

Discussions and file drops for Auggie
MBad
Old Timer

Functional overview

Post by MBad »

Hi,

I think I am lost. As newbie might be, that I am only to stupid to find it in the forum.
I see there is scripting, somthing like Game Monkey.
1st Question. Is there an overview over all possible functions, which I can use for scripting?

I am not quite sure how things work:

Does Auggie "compile" the scripts into pokeys or is it runtime on the PC? I understood the latter.

If I wanted e.g. reading ultra fast or fast encoders or some other input/output, is this possible with scripting?

Can I program in scripting, using the pokeys library?

???

Regards Michael
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Functional overview

Post by ArtF »

Hi Michael:

Have you watched the overview as yet on scripting? Also, read the Scripting 101 section on this forum, it shows
how game monkey works and how scripting works.

Yes, you can read encoders, or pins, set or unset them, you can get very close to the hardware of the pokeys,
I havent published a list as yet, but I will be doing so once Im moving and shooting th elaser properly, I expect that
within a couple weeks.

The code in the library , combined with the tutorial videos are a good example of how to script, and several examples of how to
attach or get signals are in there as well. You dont need to use the pokeys library at all, all scripting can be done from within
Auggie .. I know information is sparse, but it will begin to grow shortly..

Art

MBad
Old Timer

Post by MBad »

Tank You Art,

I now have a kind of route-map walking through  the scripting 101. :)
Regards Michael
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Michael:

Just yell when confused or if you have a question, Im finalizing the current screen now for functional Laser control,
and soon will start showing how it all works in better ways and will help other modalities build what they need.

Thx
Art
MBad
Old Timer

Post by MBad »

Many Thanks!
I have now the experience, that I have to review the videos time and again, because at first view they are overwhelming with information. E.g I could not configure Pokeys to run my steppers directly, because of strange behavior of the new version. Taking Auggie and using Auggie config instead of pokeys, the stepper worked nicely.
Same for scripting, I was impatient and looked too fast on the calc-example, now I understand better. Great!
So my recommendation to all members of the forum is to study the videos more often.
Art, Thank you for this.

I have one question of Auggie interfacing with other e.g serial devices: Is it possible to add e.g. Arduino or other platforms as addition to pokeys? Is there a serial communication?
I have bought a RS 485 USB-Stick, very cheap (5 Euro) and found a nice way to talk to the Chinese spindle via RS 485
( http://make-a-project.blogspot.de/2013/ ... speed.html ). 
So it would be interesting to talk to the VfD using Auggie by RS485. Because my scripting knowledge is at the moment rather bad, I wonder if interfacing in this sense is possible by scripting.
Regards Michael
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Michael:

I dont think the pokeys allows for rs232 or 485 devices, and I havent added any wayfor auggie to do so.
Im not against adding such a capability as I think an arduino for example coudl come in usefull in other ways
and in fact , I ve added one to my control box just in case.

IT may be awhile before I look at adding serial, but Ill give it some thought as to how I can allow it..

Art
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

if you where going to added another board type A teensy would be a good one to add they are faster, cheaper, and tinny.

you could use one to control a pendent and a mouse keyboard combo
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

A teensy is atmega based, so I suspect adding one would add the other.
Though I have to say, the pokeys Im using has soo much IO, that I can probrbaly add pendents
and all that without adding anything...

Art

DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

yer with the 57cnc anything goes, that's something I should try would it work with the hotkey's in Auggie using the pendent plug

the new teensy have 72 MHz Cortex-M4 or 48 MHz Cortex-M0+ I use this one to make disability mouses even though it's way more than is need but I can add 12 keyboard keys + a 3 button mouse
MBad
Old Timer

Post by MBad »

First Thank You all.

The reason for this is not to replace a pokeys, because we say in Germany, that are different shoes. I love my pokeys, becaus its muh more versatile than any arduino. The teensy is good, I know it. Another option for faster embedded is the less known Arduino Due (2-bit ARM core microcontroller. It has 54 digital input/output pins (of which 12 can be used as PWM outputs), 12 analog inputs, 4 UARTs (hardware serial ports), a 84 MHz clock, an USB OTG capable connection, 2 DAC (digital to analog), 2 TWI, a power jack, an SPI header, a JTAG header, a reset button and an erase button).

Its for other equipment. I know the problem of circumventing pokeys, but this s not my wish.

@ for keyboards I try to use the usb keyboard hack. This would work with the new Hotkeys Icon. That is an easy (somehow easy) way to connect cheaply a self designed cnc keyboard. I found the idea on youtube for making Arcade MAME systems. Especially older keyboard have the controller convenient to solder the wires to the keyboard. Even if you could  use pokeys for a matrix, for me in my long electronicals experience, the most value on designing a digital system is to save Pins for other good things.

If Auggie could not support serial, I will try to find a background process for serial support. I'll show it later.
Regards Michael
Richard Cullin
Old Timer

Post by Richard Cullin »

I notice the pokeys can talk  i2c and spi  , what are the chances that a arduino or whatever can talk rs485 Modbus to mbad's vfd (I have one the same) and translate the  data to/from auggie  via spi /i2c  link to pokeys. the pokeys web site has this  statement
third-party support via communication DLL library and extensive protocol specification document that allows porting to other systems.
but its lite on for any detail
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Well, I dont think Ive added hooks for the I2C bus, but I can easily enough if anyone figures they
can do a conversion.. I will look at adding a serial class to the scripter though, I have a laser depth
sensor thats serial I wouldnt mind using...

Art
MBad
Old Timer

Post by MBad »

Hi Art,

first Thanks for the new Auggie-version and Video. Yes I would appreciate to have a way to talk with Auggie via a COM. I2C is for me not so important as the serial, because of my wish to control my VfD via RS 485. I thought about some ways to raelize this by myself, but this seems to be too much hacking (e.g. by file transfer or keyboard commands).

I know you are busy, but I thing serial could help.

Congrts for your nice "Lasershow", very interesting are the timing discussions. I was remebered at old inkjet times, where you had to select bidirectional resp. unidirectional printing. Even if its a bit different.
A link for other guys is the new spindletalker 2:
https://github.com/GilchristT/SpindleTalker2/releases
Regards Michael
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

As of the next release, there is a rudimentary serial class in the scripting. I have my Selcom 5000 laser distance meter
printing distances in the toolpath window, running at 9600 baud.  Here's an example of my test script..

myser = Serial();
myser.Open(7,9600);
while(1)
{
string = myser.ReadData( 60 );
print( string );
sleep(1);
}

myser.Close();

MBad
Old Timer

Post by MBad »

Many Thanks  :D,

I will test it with the chinese spindle and the 485-Dongle an then 8) will report you all. Is there also Write command?
Last edited by MBad on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Michael