4TH AXIS tolerance

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Brown53
Old Timer

4TH AXIS tolerance

Post by Brown53 »

Is there a way to limit the A axis to 3 decimal places instead of 4. My Haas will only work to .001 in the A axis. Or will I have to change this line line at a time? Would there be any problems Using the code for one tooth and then using it as a subroutine? I am new to gear cutting, so am learning on the fly :)
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 4TH AXIS tolerance

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

The extra decimal shouldnt affect the haas, doesit trip an error?

There will be a post processor this year, but theres no way to eliminate the 4th digit currently.
Yes, you can use 1 tooth many times.. except on the non circulars of course..

Art
Brown53
Old Timer

Post by Brown53 »

Ya, if I leave the 4th decimal in, it alarms out.
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

My regular expressions are rusty, and this is the first time I've ever used powershell (yes, I know...) so there's probably an easier way.  This assumes windows; linux would be a lot easier since you can just use sed.  Better yet, install cygwin and you'll have sed, gawk, and the other goodies.

I copied the g code file in \users\kirk so it would be easy to find.  Alternatively you could do a cd to the appropriate directory.  Start powershell; you'll get a command prompt window.

Type (or copy/paste) the following, replacing puff and puff2 with the appropriate file names.

cat puff.ngc | %{$_ -replace "(\.[0-9][0-9][0-9])([0-9])","`$1"} > puff2.ngc

It replaces all 4 decimal place numbers with the first 3 places, or at least it did in my test file.  No rounding, just cuts off the last digit.  There's probably an easy way to make it into a batch file, but I didn't dig that deep.

No warranty, no guarantee, etc.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

Thanks for that. I will see if I can quickly lower the A axis to 3 for next release, or at least offer
an option, but that may help till then..

Art
Wod
Old Timer

Post by Wod »

Art,
  Just so you know, Haas doesn't mind 4 places in the X,Y,and Z. It just doesn't like 4 places in the A or B.
Wiley
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Curious isnt it,, youd think any programmer would simply ignore the higher resolution...

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Here's the A and B axis only version.  I should have looked into this powershell thing years ago - a now retired programmer/instructor friend (who's girls I used to babysit something like 40 years ago when we both worked at NASA) has been after me to try for years.

O'Reilly (books, not auto parts) has a book "Mastering Regular Expressions" that I almost wore out around 15 years ago.  Alas, it stayed when I changed jobs and I never replaced it - time to hit Amazon since bookpool's long gone.  Note that M$ REs are, of course, subtly different than the real thing.

Programmers are strange people; who knows why they do things :)

cat puff.ngc | %{$_ -replace "([AB][0-9\-]*\.[0-9][0-9][0-9])([0-9])","`$1"} > puff2.ngc

Fixing the case where there's more than one minus sign is left to the reader that cares.

Kirk

Ken_Shea
Old Timer

Post by Ken_Shea »

Kirk,
Is that a setting in the Haas post that needs changed ?
Under the MultiAxis tab >Axis Decimals.

Ken
Brown53
Old Timer

Post by Brown53 »

I tried the powershell and I am to dumb  :'(  I tried the file name a couple of different ways. Here is what it said-

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Documents and Settings\greg beers> cat\Documents and Settings\greg beers\D
esktop\m24357aa.ngc | %{$_ -replace "([AB][0-9\-]*\.[0-9][0-9][0-9])([0-9])","`$
1"} > \Documents and Settings\greg beers\Desktop\m24357aa.ngc
The term 'cat\Documents' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, s
cript file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path w
as included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:14
+ cat\Documents <<<<&nbsp; and Settings\greg beers\Desktop\m24357aa.ngc | %{$_ -repl
ace "([AB][0-9\-]*\.[0-9][0-9][0-9])([0-9])","`$1"} > \Documents and Settings\g
reg beers\Desktop\m24357aa.ngc
&nbsp; &nbsp; + CategoryInfo&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; : ObjectNotFound: (cat\Documents:String) [], Comma
&nbsp; ndNotFoundException
&nbsp; &nbsp; + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Documents and Settings\greg beers> cat Documents and Settings\greg beers\D
esktop\m24357aa.ngc | %{$_ -replace "([AB][0-9\-]*\.[0-9][0-9][0-9])([0-9])","`$
1"} > Documents and Settings\greg beers\Desktop\m24357aa.ngc
Get-Content : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'and
'.
At line:1 char:4
+ cat <<<<&nbsp; Documents and Settings\greg beers\Desktop\m24357aa.ngc | %{$_ -repl
ace "([AB][0-9\-]*\.[0-9][0-9][0-9])([0-9])","`$1"} > Documents and Settings\gr
eg beers\Desktop\m24357aa.ngc
&nbsp; &nbsp; + CategoryInfo&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-Content], ParameterBin
&nbsp; dingException
&nbsp; &nbsp; + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell
&nbsp; .Commands.GetContentCommand
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

It looks like you're typing the full path. &nbsp;In the first one there's no space between cat and \Documents. &nbsp;The spaces in the filename n the second one are confusing it.

Copy the file to the home directory and just leave the path off. &nbsp;Stupid windoze directory names.&nbsp; You have to put them in quotes because of the embedded spaces.

Kirk
Last edited by Mooselake on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brown53
Old Timer

Post by Brown53 »

Did that, it saved the file with the .ngc attached. when I open that one it is blank. I might just have to bite the bullet and change a couple of thousand lines of code by hand&nbsp; :o
Thanks for the effort though :)
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

&nbsp; No, cant have you do all that.. Send me a note to support@gearotic.com and Ill send you a special zipped up exe that will make he A axis to 3 digits..

Art
Brown53
Old Timer

Post by Brown53 »

;D ;D ;D ;D THANKS
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

And while you're waiting, highlight and copy the following line, get a command prompt, and type powershell.&nbsp; Do a "cd desktop" (assuming the files are still there).

Click on the screen image in the upper left corner of the command prompt window, then select edit, then paste.&nbsp; Hit enter.

I don't think you can read and write the same file this way, when I looked both of your file names were the same.&nbsp; It worked, with these exact file names, when I tried it here.

Regular expressions are pretty weird looking, and hard to retype.&nbsp; They're hard to type the first time :)

cat m24357aa.ngc | %{$_ -replace "([AB][0-9\-]*\.[0-9][0-9][0-9])([0-9])","`$1"} > m24357aa2.ngc

I didn't know you could change the desktop from a command prompt, so it was an interesting exercise.&nbsp; HTH

Kirk