New Release Version 4.90.02

Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
Mooselake
Old Timer

Re: New Release Version 4.90.02

Post by Mooselake »

I found what looks like a few bugs:

Media snapshot creates a file that's all blank.

I can't find a way to link gears that are connected together, think a smaller and larger gear that are concentric.  They can link to the same shaft, but if they spin on that shaft and share it with other connected pairs (trios, etc.) they don't want to link.  If I set up several of them and click simulate, half the gears disappear.  Interestingly, clicking new will leave ghost gears that don't show up in the project and can't be deleted.  The only way is to exit and restart GT.

Material types aren't saved in the project file - I'd used them for highlighting individual sets of gears.  Reloading the project file sets everything back to the default material.

Also, a change request to consider.  It would be nice if there was a way to thin the (whatever the spoke area is officially called, the space between the hub and rim).  I'd pictured options to reduce (or even increase, if negative #s) the spoke area by a percentage or distance on both the top and bottom sides, and also at the hub.  I'm not sure if it would be desirable to allow changing the hub and rim percentage just for the thinned area or not, and maybe it would fit nicely with the spoke options.  It would be real handy for stl 3D printer files, and it seems pretty common on commercial gears.

example:  top spokearea /xxx/  bot spokearea /xxx/  hub diameter /xxx/  rim diameter /xxx/  top hub/xxx/ bot hub/xxx/

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Kirk:

>>Media snapshot creates a file that's all blank.

Im still unsure why some systems do this. All my computers work properly. Ill keep you advised, but this one seems hard to find.,.

>>I can't find a way to link gears that are connected together, think a smaller and larger gear that are concentri c.  They can link to the same shaft, but if they spin on that shaft and share it with other connected pairs (trios, etc.) they don't want to link.  If I set up several of them and click simulate, half the gears disappear .  Interesti ngly, clicking new will leave ghost gears that don't show up in the project and can't be deleted.  The only way is to exit and restart GT.

Thx. I have fixed a few linkage bugs for next release. Im not sure I understand your description of this one though, Really, only one gear should link to a shaft, the shaft then links to the other gears on it. An object, shaft or gear, may linbk to several object, but should be linked to by only one. So if Gear1 is riving a shaft, you should link
that shaft to gears on it to be driven, but never lik other gears to the same shaft. Make sure any object is driven (linked) by only one object.. It could be my rules engine broke down and allowed you to link several gears to one shaft...it shouldnt..several gears may reside on a shaft, but only 1 may drive (link) it.

>>Material types aren't saved in the project file - I'd used them for highlight ing individua l sets of gears.  Reloading the project file sets everythin g back to the default material.

Sorry bout that, it will be fixed in next release...that IS annoying.. :)

>>Also, a change request to consider.  It would be nice if there was a way to thin the (whatever the spoke area is officiall y called, the space between the hub and rim).  I'd pictured options to reduce (or even increase, if negative #s) the spoke area by a percentag e or distance on both the top and bottom sides, and also at the hub.  I'm not sure if it would be desirable to allow changing the hub and rim percentag e just for the thinned area or not, and maybe it would fit nicely with the spoke options.  It would be real handy for stl 3D printer files, and it seems pretty common on commercia l gears.

I agree with you. I already have this on my wish list.. gears do look better if the center are is thinned..

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

For linkages I have a project concept with a speed increaser that has two parallel shafts.  The first gear is driven by shaft one and drives the second year on shaft 2, and, has a third gear glued on top of it also on shaft 2 - gears 2 and 3 spin on shaft 2 but don't drive it.    Gear 3 drives gear 4 on shaft 1 but only spins on the shaft, neither driving or being driven by it.  Gear 5 is glued to gear 4 and also not connected to shaft 1.  So g2 and g3 spin at the same speed, make g4 and g5 spin at a same and faster speed.  Eventually you get to the fastest gear x which is connected to a shaft that's concentric to shaft 1, but a much higher speed.  Does that make sense?  G1 is driven by shaft 1 and drives g2.  G2 drives g3 via the glue but does not drive shaft 2.  G3 drives g4 but not shaft 1, and so on.  Eventually gear x drives the concentric shaft around shaft 1.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

Yes, sounds reasonable. In that case
Gear#1 should show a linkage to the shaft and to gear#2.
Gear#2 should show a link to gear#3 and to shaft #2
Gear#3 shoud show only a link to gear#4
Gear#4 should show only a link to Gear#5
#5 to #6
#6 to #7 etc..

etc.. so that  Shaft #1 and 2 are used only 1 time in terms of linkages.
They will not place that way as yet,when you place on a shaft it assumes the shaft drives it,
but you should be able to remove the linkage from the shaft and make them
attach to the gear as above manually. The simulator should then figure out that since its mated to
a gear but on a shaft it will turn at 1:1 of that gear.At that point they should simulate properly.

Ill have to add an option when placing a gear on a shaft if you wish to link it to
another gear on that shaft...hadnt thought of parallel shafting requirment...

Thx
Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Thanks, Art.

I found another possible bug.  I tried to add a second gear, then realized that the shaft spacing was wrong because I didn't add a smaller gear first.  I then deleted the second shaft.  That left a ghost gear - not selectable, and not deletable, that had been on the second shaft.  To get rid of it I had to exit and restart GT.

Kirk
Last edited by Mooselake on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

Thx, Ill add some security code to the delete module.

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Guys:

Ive foudn several bugs and have toughened up several sections for the next release.

Thought you might like to see the sculpture Im working on to illustrate the recoil chrono
escapements. Its at ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXr8IHvuwMA

Thx
Art
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Art
I really like your creation. I expected to see that escapement in a clock. But your kinetic creation is just great. It looks like the. "balance" wheel is a little off balance so that you get more rotation in one direction that the other - counter intuitive to my mind.

John
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
Ken_Shea
Old Timer

Post by Ken_Shea »

Pretty cool Art,
Not sure what it does but it's fun too watch :)
SkyMoBot
Old Timer

Post by SkyMoBot »

That's really cool.  Are you going to provide that as a sample project?
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

>>That's really cool.  Are you going to provide that as a sample project?

Yes, I think Ill use it as a tool to aid in explaining Chrono escapements
in the upcoming video on them, and Im planning on a second video talking
about things to consider if building your own kinetic motor. How they can be
used and what to consider when building one. Ill also post the tap files, dxf's
and drawings for anyone who wishes to build one. There doesnt seem to be any
real classification or name for this genre of kinetic art, so I'm proclaiming
them "tickers" or "Hobbit Clocks" ( Hobbits like the tick but dont care about time.. :-) ),
or at least thats what Ill tell people asking me what the hell is on my wall... lol

There are two masters of them on the web , Clayton Boyer and David
C Roy, they do absolutely excellent sculptures, if you havent seen them
you really should google them. What Id like to do this coming year is post
a few examples of how they work, how to design them and make them...
if theres interest...Its an interesting study of gravity, escapements and balance...

Art
David Sohlstrom
Old Timer

Post by David Sohlstrom »

Art

I DLed what I believe is the current ver. When I change my set up so my C axis is pointed X-- tool paths in 4th axis go all haywire. If I change to X++ paths are fine.

Dave
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thx Dave:

Ill run a check on X-- .. Any idea what seems screwy? Is it an inverted Y axis or something?

Art
danmauch
Old Timer

Post by danmauch »

That would be really cool. As you know I built a kinetic art project using ed legler's concentricity as a guide.
He got his inspiration from the guys you mentioned. I now have Horsing around running for 1hr 30 minutes. Here is a link to the old video before I fixed some issues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpZjSS- ... _lolz  I could only get it to run for 30-40 minutes at first but then found that my spacers were lightly dragging on the bearing shield. Once I fixed that the improvement was substantial.
Thanks again for  making the chrono escapement available.
Dan Mauch
ArtF wrote: >>That's really cool.   Are you going to provide that as a sample project?

Yes, I think Ill use it as a tool to aid in explaining Chrono escapements
in the upcoming video on them, and Im planning on a second video talking
about things to consider if building your own kinetic motor. How they can be
used and what to consider when building one. Ill also post the tap files, dxf's
and drawings for anyone who wishes to build one. There doesnt seem to be any
real classification or name for this genre of kinetic art, so I'm proclaiming
them "tickers" or "Hobbit Clocks" ( Hobbits like the tick but dont care about time.. :-) ),
or at least thats what Ill tell people asking me what the hell is on my wall... lol

There are two masters of them on the web , Clayton Boyer and David
C Roy, they do absolutely excellent sculptures, if you havent seen them
you really should google them. What Id like to do this coming year is post
a few examples of how they work, how to design them and make them...
if theres interest...Its an interesting study of gravity, escapements and balance...

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

David:

Nver mind.. I found it. Thanks for the bug report, its fixed for next release. Yell if you have need of the fix earlier..

Art