A forum for the Arduino based Mach4/Darwin Laser Control Panel
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Time for an informed decision

Post by ArtF »

>>I dare you to ask a noob question on the linuxcnc forum

:)

No such thing as a question too basic here, to my mind 90% of software writing is support,
and I dont think in 15 years of doing this I have kicked many or told anyone to go away because
their too dim. Specially here in Gearotic land.

I know in some places "noobs" get a hard time, or users are scared to ask basic questions
thinking it will look too basic. I dont judge here. I try to guide conversations so others dont
either ( which on this forum has never really been an issue). This is partly because the types
of things done here are specialty items, and your generally at a certain level of expertise
when you arrive, but even if your not, the atmosphere here is kept as clean as I can
of any negative feedback based on inexperience. (When I wrote Mach1 I didnt know
a G41 from a G42..). By end of Mach3 I knew G-Code fairly well, and I owe much
of that to all the people that helped guide me. In this, I try to pay it forward.

The most important one to help is the one who needs it most.. so if you ask me
what a "Computer" is, I wont laugh, though I may snicker internally. I was always proud
that the Mach3 group with thousands of members has lasted all these years and continues
with a very nice tone usually, (though its dying out now compared to the old days),
and with Gearotic, perhaps because one needs to ask to join, its always been an
extraordinary place to get advice. For me as well. As the code jockey I get
a lot of advice and ideas from this group...

My thanks for that to everyone..

Art

BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Jerry;

I believe it was reference to some newbie questions on linuxcnc forum, no need to be alarmed.. As Art mentioned feel free to ask any questions, I know I sure do...

Cheers
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Jerrywi wrote: ?art gets ride of A hole fast??
I thought it was a lead in to using arcs with auggie...   Dan was a joking, Jerry, a poke at less friendly sites where the pseudo know it alls don't know enough to help others.

While linux related forums seem to attract flamers that's never been the situation here.  Even my questions and comments have been graciously tolerated, with any laughing, snickering, and eye rolling done where they couldn't be heard.

Getting the right install order for the laser software involves some obscure arcania, and I wouldn't be surprised if the directions on the CD (which I found after the fact) are also wrong.  I rememberthe order being given on the G+ K40 group (which answers beginner questions btw) , and have seen them listed elsewhere - probably on the cnczone.com forums.  I have the parts designed (and one printed) to install my K40 table project and get the laser going again.  Until then you can turn up some laserDRW options discussions in english that will help you figure it out.  For letters you need to engrave (raster scan) rather than use vector cutting (one technique is to vector cut the outlines to sharpen the edges, then raster to fill them) to get them filled in, and check the "pour" box in the text options.  I've zipped and attached something I did for a local shop that might work as an example.  I practice on cardboard (cheap) at very low power settings, just watch so you don't set it on fire; keep a spray bottle of water handy and (like 3D printers) a fire extinguisher where you find it.

Kirk
Attachments
SwiftBamboo203x145.zip
(513 Bytes) Downloaded 505 times
Last edited by Mooselake on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Jerry:

Yeah, don't take any of this thread wrong, no flames were intended, in fact the point was to point out
we dont flame people here. lol

On this forum you could ask what flavour cigars are best , and probably get an answer. I have a very
wide tolerance policy on discussions, so long as they help someone in a related field to what we play in
here the sky is the limit, and we all started somewhere. I dont even pretend to be a laser expert, I just
know I like playing with them and a project like Auggie will help alot of people understand or learn things
they didnt know.

Trust me, no need to fade into the background around here, Im about to start teaching scripting,
and Im hopeing questions will run the gamut from "whats a variable" to "Hows a person generate a cycloidal
curve in script." , so whenever you feel curious or in any way feel youd like to understand something
better,post!. Im very much likely to bore you with an extended answer of how I understand something to work,
and have a propensity to go on for words and words and words when the mood hits me..
(See....look at the length of that...  )

Art

DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

Jerrywi it was just a comment that art and bob looks after his forum members and if anyone is rude or nasty he jumps on it fast, the noob question you can ask any question you want to ask here, I have ask some silly questions myself and got a nice reply from other members art was on holiday.

if you ask a noob question on the linuxcnc forum you quite often get torn a new one.
Jerrywi
Old Timer

Post by Jerrywi »

WOW!!
I totally turned that post 180 degrees to the negative. I took it as a personal dare to ask a noobie question on the linuxcnc forum and not to bother this forum with basic questions.
I am literally turning 50 shades gray/ RED at this moment and angry at myself for not seeing the well-intended meaning in the post. Not sure why I got defensive/sensitive after reading  it.
I usually do a lot more research before I feel stumped and then reach out to the forum members for help. Admittedly I did not do my homework and got lazy and threw a bunch of questions out there for a fast answer. For that I apologize.
I owe this forum a Hugh apology for my unwarranted outburst and rant and on the other hand thank you all for clarifying the context of the post and reassuring me that any question is welcomed.
DanL, I personally owe you an apology for misunderstanding your post and welcome any future help you can give me.
I?ve peeked in on other forums and your right; some members were chastised for bringing up basic questions and that is a definite turn off.
Thank you all for your patience and understanding.
Jerry
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

it's ok I thought I put it wrong and upset you by mistake anyway it dont matter. we move on, I have upset other people on other forums my self by them getting me wrong.
it's all good I am a noob when it comes to coding and using 3D printers and lasers. I get the idea behind it all and can read it but getting it from head to keyboard is a different matter.
Jerrywi
Old Timer

Post by Jerrywi »

Thanks Kirk
I got the zip file
jerry
Jerrywi
Old Timer

Post by Jerrywi »

Thanks DanL