and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 3d printer stls from GT

Post by ArtF »

John:

:)

Might want to leave her checkbook alone for a few more months. Most of the good looking startups
are supposed to start delivering this summer. The increasing quality of the prints is due , IMO, to the
evolving software methods and the evolving extruders. Those are really the most inexpensive components too. So at the moment, its a premium on the lack of competition for a good looking machine.

Just my opinion, but I think you can target about $600.00 or so by fall for a machine that will match the 1500.00 ones today. The X,Y,Z componenets are all light duty, nothing heavy is required, and its all
basically identical to CNC, just an extruder instead of a spindle.
  When I look to the technology, what Im seeing is much better software, like easily removed
  support structures as a result of more logic in the way their applied. The extruders are REAL
  simple devices as well. All in all, I think 3d printing is almost ready for prime time, a few more
  months will likely see the competitors smooth things out in terms of whats available.

I plan to build an extruder now for my robotic arm and see about controlling it myself..

just my opinion of course..
JimG
Old Timer

Post by JimG »

John S wrote: Art,
What do you think about the UP! Plus ?

The Mini is $999 plus shipping and the Plus is $1499 plus the same shipping but larger area. If I'm going to get raped for import duty and taxes I only want it to be once.

"Be gentle with me"  is a term Customs and Excise have not heard of.
John,

There's a UK importer who hasn't used the $ = ? calculation  ;)

http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog ... 89_99.html

Jim.
John S
Old Timer

Post by John S »

Problem is Jim, because he's out of stock you can't order one and check if it's plus VAT
John S.
Nottingham, England
JimG
Old Timer

Post by JimG »

John S wrote: Problem is Jim, because he's out of stock you can't order one and check if it's plus VAT
Whoops - didn't note the VAT selector in the top right corner.  :(

I have to confess that I didn't take a lot of notice of VAT in my past life since my business used to be VAT registered and input VAT went straight through the accounts.  But I'm learning the pain of actually having to pay it now. :)

Jim.
Jim Mac
Old Timer

Post by Jim Mac »

Art/John,

I bought my UP Plus last August and haven't looked back since. A recent firmware upgrade now allows a resolution of 150 microns. I bought it from Denford here in the UK.

At present I'm using it to make telescope parts. My next project is to make a rack and pinion micro focuser.

Jim
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Jim:

Its ideal for that type of of work isnt it? Im making an encoder bases rainbowduino led flasher
and the test case I made fit like a glove to the encoder, I was quite pleased. I can see where I
have to fight with CAD programs to learn to extrude with them, none of them seem real friendly that
way..

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Jim:

One other comment, .. I added a 10 ohm resistor to my Up! to lower the temp a bit so I could use
standard reprap filiment..worked great and Ive been printing in ABS or Nylon now. The nylon works fine
with the 10 ohm resistor added to the plug for the sensor..

Art
Jim Mac
Old Timer

Post by Jim Mac »

Art,

On the CAD front I use Solidworks. I use the 2D DXF profile from GM which I then Extrude - I don't change anything and it works perfectly - just one command!

I must admit, however, to enormous difficulty using the 3D DXF from GM. So much so that now I don't even bother trying.

Like the idea of using the resistor to control the nozzle heat. On the UP Printer forum there are many requests for user control of the nozzle temperature via the software. Perhaps we'll see it with a future release.

Jim
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Jim:

The resistor is pretty easy to add, took me about 10 minute son mine.. The forums show where it goes.

Teh 3d DXF's are hard to use, DXF is a pretty wide and loose standard. Its why I prefer the stl's , at least they
can be tested as accurate as they load or are used. I will be redoign the 3d DXF's as well now that Im aware of all the
3d modeling issues in terms of portability. GT's shoudl eb immediately loadable in pretty much any printing software...

Art