Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ticker 2.0Beta release.

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Beta 2.0 is online, and a preliminary video explaining the workflow is on youtube.

Couple notes missing from the video:

When a pallet, pendulum or other cad drawn object is placed on a shaft hanging in space and
is locked in position and orientation, it may show instability. This is due to forces used to maintain
orientation having no place to dump their energy. Hang a pinion gear or other object on their main shaft and
they will stabilize. Give the added object a higher mass to damp the forces. (OR fuse the shaft to
the worktable by selecting it and pressing the Fuse button.) Pendulums and such will then act as expected.

DXF import and export is available in the menus, however take note that Fusion 360 will not load
the dxf output if any bezier curves are used. A solution to this is being investigated.

Keyboard shortcuts work in the cad module as per normal windows conventions generally. Ctrl-Z = undo,
Shift-Ctrl-Z = redo. Ctrl-C is copy, Ctrl-V is paste.

Thanks,
Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ticker 2.0Beta release.

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Another quick note on Ticker 2.0B ,

When designing a pendulum or other long object, take note its center of mass by default is at its 0,0 center.

This means when you turn on gravity it may not drop as expected. It will drop as expected if a slave shaft is placed somewhere on it,
as that will move the pendulums center of mass to that shaft position. Another alternative is to simply place a Center of Mass object from
the menu. Select the pendulum, press the Center of Mass button and click the pendulum at the Bob. A COM will appear and you can set the
mass of that point. This effectively allows for COM to be moved from origin to any spot on the object.

Thx
Art
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

hello art.
thanks.
i must have forgotten in between innings, but downloading the MSI installer (and in a separate attempt, the development file from the page link) I end up with a ticker.exe file date stamped 2022-12 version 1.02 +/-. Please correct my efforts.
thank you
brian.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Brian:

I just downloaded and my version reads 2.00b when installed. I think perhaps your using a desktop icon
pointing to an old version ( which used to be in the Gearotic Motion folder. The new program is in
the Gearotic Motion/TickerKinetics/ folder.

Try seeing if that is the folder being used for your shortcut. Delete the shortcut and reinstall if this
continues as the msi installer should create a new proper one.

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Art

I've downloaded Version 2.0B and I'm slowly trying out the new features. Your new video is quite good, thanks for the honorable mention near the beginning.

I do like the Vexx-like cad integration with Ticker.exe. I think it will make some prototyping easier than using Fusion 360. I like the way that when extruding a part that it goes to the asset creation mode. I've had some trouble with the creation of multiple shafts but it may simply be my operator error. I did pick up on your hint regarding needing to make sure the 3D model view is a straight-on view before extruding from the cad mode. The hint explained to me how you created the horizontal pallet shaft of your crown-verge escapement. I intend to continue developing my version of the crown-verge escapement.

In the simulation mode, I'm glad you added the SimSnap mode where you can interact with a running simulation. This will help with models, such as my Denison double three-leg gravity escapement, to be able to pull the pendulum sideways to start the escapement.

Bill Michael
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

ArtF wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:33 am Brian:

I just downloaded and my version reads 2.00b when installed. I think perhaps your using a desktop icon
pointing to an old version ( which used to be in the Gearotic Motion folder. The new program is in
the Gearotic Motion/TickerKinetics/ folder.

Try seeing if that is the folder being used for your shortcut. Delete the shortcut and reinstall if this
continues as the msi installer should create a new proper one.

Art
regrets. did try reinstall. did try direct execution (e.g., double clicked the exe file, Ticker - within gearotic\ticker folder (not gearotic folder). attached 2 screen shots hoping helps diagnose.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-11 143324.png
Screenshot 2023-03-11 143223.png
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Brian:

yers, that's an old version. I'm not sure why. Just to be sure I deleted my folders, downloaded fresh from website and
still found it to be 2.0B .
Must have something to do with the download... Is your download of the MSI at 129MB in size approximately?

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Bill:

Haven't seen issues with shafts here yet..but make sure the last circle set as a shaft is the one you wish the model to
be actively placing. Other shafts should just appear after placement. Im working on adding a button to quickly create
an escapement ratchet by drawing its tooth and asking for a set diameter ratchet. I plan for one for the crown as well,
where you draw the tooh and let it extrude it for you.

Art
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

ArtF wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:24 am Hi Brian:

yers, that's an old version. I'm not sure why. Just to be sure I deleted my folders, downloaded fresh from website and
still found it to be 2.0B .
Must have something to do with the download... Is your download of the MSI at 129MB in size approximately?

Art
123MB (according to the download status bar - and 122MB on the details tab on properties (presume that's logical file size); and, 128[,649,728] according to properties tab (presuming that's physical file size).
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

[/quote]

123MB (according to the download status bar - and 122MB on the details tab on properties (presume that's logical file size); and, 128[,649,728] according to properties tab (presuming that's physical file size).
[/quote]

and installed to c: just to see (my regular location for gearotic is d:). no joy (ticker.exe date stamped 2022-12) and then deleted the old from d:, and (re)installed there ... no joy. deleted ticker subfolder and reinstalled. :-(

disabled all the add-ons in firefox. haven't been getting any error or flag that system prevented overwriting.
still must be something to do with my computer. and particularly odd symptom -- not up to date on programming ins and outs but wondering how msi can be "merely" copying and yet copy old exe.

just in case, i've attached versions screenshots of Vexx and Gearotic.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-13 023811.png
Screenshot 2023-03-13 023720.png
Screenshot 2023-03-13 023720.png (4.06 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Brian:

The one I download is 135M in size, so your definitely downloading an old version. I wonder if a cache server somewhere is serving it to you
or something, its very mysterious. Can you try another browser, like Chrome or Edge. I think your browser may be stuck with a file in its cache
and wont release it, so it simply feeds you an old copy. Clearing your cache should fix that, but another browser should work right away.
Let me know what it does, if it continues, Ill make a copy on the site with another name for you to try (that you couldn't have cached.)

Art
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

Art:
Thanks for the prompt follow ups, as always.

Odd about the cache, firefox settings auto delete/empty data on close. In any case, opened a fresh firefox session and expressly cleared the (empty) cache and related data (also empty)... downloaded the msi (again 123mb -- not 130+). :-(

regret cannot use other browsers.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Brian:

Well, that is weird. Try this link I have created to see what happens if its a new file..

https://gearotic.com/GearoticMotion1.msi

Art
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

!!!
:-)

ours [well at least not me]] is not to reason why...

fyi: regular download link still presents 122mb file with "old" ticker. BUT, custom download link to ...1.msi retrieves 129mb file and installs ver 2.0B ticker!! (see attachments).

thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-16 060926.png
Screenshot 2023-03-16 060926.png (90.79 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
Screenshot 2023-03-16 060824.png
Screenshot 2023-03-16 060824.png (4.07 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
Screenshot 2023-03-16 060729.png
Screenshot 2023-03-16 060729.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Brian:

That is weird... Ill see if I can find anything on the topic.. happy the new file worked for you.

Art