Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jan 29/2021 release

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

The .msi installer, which was created for win10, has been updated with a new version.

No version numbers have changed, but Gearotic itself has a fix in it for feedrate and spindle
Gcode output in herringbone gears. Thanks to the user who reported this, it is now fixed.

A new program "Ticker.exe" is released in this installer. A video will shortly be prepared.

There are two modules in Ticker, both relate to bolts. The first is a "simple Bolt Generator" .

-- This is similar to the alpha test ran a month or two ago. In it, you select the thread,
length and grip as well as the head type. A bolt will be made for you. Select hollow if you
wish to strengthen the bolt with a metal Rod.  (This ups the strength CONSIDERABLY in testing.)

The second module is the "Complex Shafting" module. This is new.

-- this module is for people like me that dont like to print too large due to risk of
failure in printing. In this module you "draw" a shaft using buttons for each type of
addition. The interface is a thing called an intermediate mode GUI. It is onscreen,
dynamic, and changes depending on what you select. You may click on the screen
or use a dropdown to select any feature so far added and adjust its size, length, module, etc.

Included is a feature called "Joiner" , which will break any shaft or thread into sections
that plug together to make the whole. I have printed 10" acme threads with nuts that
each section is only 3" and hollow. By gluing them to a shaft,  and gluing the connection
keys between items I end up with a 10" adjustment screw that is very accurate at 2mm per
revolution, strong and if anything screws up during printing, I can simply print a new 3" section. As a result
of this joining technology, all threads are done to a single pitch granularity so that any section
will plug into another. The plugs are keyed for proper orientation. To use this , just press
the joiner key before adding more thread or shaft.

All of this is quite new. In fact the program itself is standalone in reality. It is the result of
spending the pandemic studying how video games are built, how things like the unity
engine are created and what the state of the art is in graphics. I'm hoping the font control
and sizing I created works on various systems. I haven't used a prebuilt engine but instead
designed this one to be a cross between video game tech and cad tech. It is at this point
little more than a proof of concept.

SO this is a beta release of how that system works for you. I will explain further in the video.
Your bolts and shafts will appear in a folder named "shafts" in the main folder. You may change this
by changing the location of where shafts are saved by saving one in the complex shafting module.

This sounds complex looking at what I've written, but this program is actually very simply to
use and get output from. If you have a 3d printer, this program seems like one a person should
have if for nothing else than decorative nuts and bolts.  It requires no license and anyone with
a 3d printer is invited to test it. I advise printing these object standing up, with support set to
zig-zag, and no support on overhang less than 80 degrees. This means the threads will not be
filled with support material. I have printed several bolts with nuts on them, and unscrewed
the nut after print. To do this make sure the global variable "Clearance" is set to whatever "tightness"
you need for your 3d printer. Mine is about .32mm's. I can then screw off the nut, but it is still a
nice fit to screw on. Use "Monolithic" output to create a single stl or obj with all items in it.

One other note, this program is in metric. As all 3d printers print in inch or metric, and 3d
saved objects are unitless, I opted for Metric only. You may select a standard bolt and thread
from the menu's, but it will be put out in metric...so scale as required for printing. 

Please let me know if its a balls up failure to run, or if things look alright.

Have a great weekend,
Art
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Jan 29/2021 release

Post by BobL »

Thanks Art
Gearotic Motion
Bob
Bloy
Old Timer

Post by Bloy »

Thanks Art and Bob.  I'm trying to catch up.  Right now I'm looking for a version of Mach3 that gives me back my threading ability. It won't register RPMs.

I've often checked in here in spurts but haven't made time in my life for a sustained effort to experience your great contributions.

Thanks again.

John Meissner
Last edited by Bloy on Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
John M
Sturgeon Bay, WI
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

It seems there was a problem with the update, but if you now download the .msi windows 10 installer, it should
be fine, but about 150mb in size.. which is quite an increase..

Art
ABlackman
Old Timer

Post by ABlackman »

Hi the download worked and am checking out ticker. My results for the bolt output in obj never seem to produce a visible object inside Cura. When I checked the stl/obj box I was able to produce a usable stl that cura recognized. When I returned today I can not generate a usable obj or stl.

By usable I mean that meshalb sees the file as only 1 vertice and zero faces.

Thanks,

Andy
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Andy:

Thx. Does this happen even if you produce a simple shaft segment in advanced shafting and then create it?
Better question, does the screen show proper models but when exported simply refuse to open up in Cura?

Can you send me an obj file of one? They are text files in reality and may show me whats up.

Thx
Art
ABlackman
Old Timer

Post by ABlackman »

Meshlab error
Bolt file
Attachments
Bolt.zip
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 261 times
Capture.JPG
randyr
Old Timer

Post by randyr »

I'm having a similar problem. The STL files, just simple bolts, 4" long, 1x8NC thread, cannot be read by any program I've tried (Ideamaker slicer, Aspire, Win10 3d viewer).

randy
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thx ..

Something seems to have busted the release version.. I will update as soon as I figure out what happened.
Sorry for the bad downloads.

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

I'm still searchi9gn for this problem. Unfortunately if I redownload , install and run, all models
seem fine. The file above I tested and can see all the face indices are 1, which is just not right
but Im still unsure as to how that can happen. It may have been an early upload wasnt replaced,
I have reupped the program just to be sure.

If you get a chance, let me know if a fresh install fixes the trouble.

Thx
Art
ABlackman
Old Timer

Post by ABlackman »

Hi ARt,

Different results this time there are verticies on the OBJs but no faces. The STL still have 1 or 2 vertices with no faces.

I have attached the results; it if helps.
Attachments
Shafts.zip
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 261 times
ABlackman
Old Timer

Post by ABlackman »

Hi Art,

Ok, I decided to test the msi installer on another older slower laptop. It appears to be working on that computer. So, my issue/concern/question now is what piece of software/library/SDK/etc is out of date or incorrect that maybe causing the issue.

So, if you have any suggestions or hints that would be great.

Thanks,
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

The MSI installed on my W10 notebook, ticker starts and seems to run fine.  However I couldn't figure out how to change numbers except with the slider which isn't especially accurate (nothing typed in the box does anything with and without a ctl-A).  While it appeared to create and save an (I'm assuming) obj file I couldn't figure out where it went or what the filename would be for a search.  I'm trying to tune my newly 32 bit controllered Ender 3 Pro and thought a hollowed out 1-8 shaft and nut would be a good test, particularly since I could try to screw it into my wood lathe chuck.

I'm a little confused on setting overall and threaded length, but expect that will become clear in the video.

Kirk

Edit: I was using shafts, not bolts which I see in the video have a much different looking screen, and since real programmers don't use manuals /ducks/ I opened ticker and started futzing around.  Watching the video now...

Found the obj file in Shafts, operator error trying to open instead of import in Prusa Slicer.  Print is now in progress.
Last edited by Mooselake on Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
randyr
Old Timer

Post by randyr »

I reinstalled (the WIN10 MSI file).  The date on the Ticker.exe file doesn't look like it changed from what it was (1/29/2021).  The program itself seems to work fine, but again, the STL files are unreadable by any of the programs I use (Sketchup 17, Aspire, Ideamaker slicer).

I'm running this on a fairly new/clean Win10 laptop.

randy
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Prusa slicer 2.3.0 found a few repairable errors on mine (I used obj and had to reorient from horizontal to upright) and printed OK, deleted 6 triangles iirc.  I don't know if there's any standalone free versions of netfabb left (prusa slicer will call it on request) but that might be an option.

My 1"-8 bolt and nut with an MT2 minor diameter sized hole (as close as I could get to 0.5720" with the slider, but not enough shells to actually ream it if the reamers weren't up north) printed OK, about an hour each on my E3P.  Don't screw together, the threads were a little blobby, really need to get around to calibrating the extruder and flow rate better but still playing around with the 32b controller.  Super quiet with TMC2225 drivers, fans (upgraded the hot end but not part cooling fan) and occasional retract/detracts are about the only thing audible.