Release Update Dec. 18/2017

Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

Art,

Yes, new (problem) to me.  Running Win 10.  4 month old computer.  in addition to freshly installing a few months ago, Gearotic on this machine (Dell Alienware R4), fairly confident I've also updated without a hitch at least once since then.  Worked fine since (including Vexx) or at least until trying to update -- now of course, not so much (will try "stable version" in the meanwhile  - and see what that does).

could be anti-virus stuff - get the "are you sure you want to install this program downloaded from the internet" warnings, click, yes I am sure. etc.  have windows defender and avira.  i will also use an alternative (unfavored) browser as i've got firefox loaded with noscript -- usually very helpful but occaisionally intereferes with downloads (or at least from dropbox - which has too (one is too many) many persistent cookies/trackers).

Thanks.  Really, really like the program.  so many features, not enough wood.
:-)
Brian.

UPDATE: Downloaded the developmental and stable into a sandbox using a naked browser.  Developmental - same results.  Stable - got the "Improper shutdown", clicked yes; gearotic launched.  So that's an improvement and difference in result suggesting developmental version install is the culprit.  Never had any difficulties with your developmental version.  Hope the additional detail helps.
Regards,
Brian.
Last edited by BMeyers on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Release Update Dec. 18/2017

Post by ArtF »

Thx Brian:

Ill generate a new install over the next few days and notify when its ready. Hard to imagine why neither vexx or gearotic will run.. Ill give it some thought.

Art
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

Thanks Art.  I am open to the possibility it is related to some interaction or failure to interact with software on my machine (quite possibly anti-virus etc.).
Regards,
Brian.
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

Thanks, Art.  Downloaded and attempted to install the development version.  Recd same error message: 'cannot create shortcut', and date of gearotic.exe file remains back to November 17.  However, this time, I received the message that the MS C++ redistributable was installed - don't believe I noticed that previously when I installed the prior installations of the development version (after November 17).  there is also a VC_redistx86.exe file dated 12/19.  so back to stable version, for now...
Brian.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Release Update Dec. 18/2017

Post by ArtF »

Hi Brian:

Yes, I updated the redist runtimes to make sure it wasnt a VC2017 thing.
Ill probably have another version within a week or two. Ive updated the
output compiler since the last version so hopefully the next development version
will be alright on your system,

I havent heard of another system as yet having trouble, but Ill keep my eyes open
to see if any reports point in any particular direction..

Art