Version 3.00 kinematics released.

Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Version 3.00 kinematics released.

Post by ArtF »

I suspect whats happening is a crash on exit where I must have some object stuck in ram..
Some versions of windows will reopen a program after a crash. Thx for the report, Ill keep searching
for it, they can be buggers to find..

Thx
Art
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Art;

Ran some tests on the reported Auggie auto reboot issue. Since my laser table contains a power bar with an off/on switch on it, I've notice if I kill power to the pokey 57CNC while Auggie is still running, then once I shut down Auggie from my WinXP, Auggie will occasionally reboot automatically? I repeated the test several times to find Auggie does this, but only occasionally? Now If I end Auggie prior to killing power to the 57CNC, no issues exist at all, works every time without any rebooting issue?  Interesting side effect however, I was using the Polabs Pokey dev version 4.2.2 as my interface between my 57CNC and my pc, I did notice a connection speed issues in the past, (20-30sec to initially connect) on my 1Gb network, so then I tried it with Polabs pokey version 4.2.13 instead? Wow, day and night difference on how fast these two now connect (2-3 sec), also was unable to duplicate Auggie's auto reboot problem anymore, that is until I converted back? Is it possible the pokey interface software is the culprit in this case? A simple test to try in any case.

Cheers
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob
marklazarz
Old Timer

Post by marklazarz »

I don't have a Pokey so my auto reboot must be unrelated.

Mark
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Program was updated tonight to stop an error form loading a mech with saved linkages. Same version number, just
a quick update before its downloaded too much. :)

Thx
Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Merry XMas everyone. And to all .. a goodnight. :)

Art
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

With a couple feet of snow on the ground the winter hobby season has arrived!  The outside tasks that aren't done yet will just have to wait.

This might be too big a challenge to simulate, but I've gotten a request to build a Shishi-odoshi, a Japanese deer chaser.  Despite an 8 foot high deer fence the buggers still like to dine on Mrs. Moose's garden, which has changed their status from "Oh, they're so cute" to the (very un-Mrs. Moose like) encouragement of high velocity lead poisoning.  Even the fawn she watched being born in our side field has fallen out of favor.  We have the same problem in our orchard, anything that hits the ground disappears overnight.  No windfall apple cider.

V1 will be 2 inch PVC pipe and a small pump which the HD and Amazonian overlords have gratefully provided.  Total length, pivot point, and flow rate need to be determined.  Very small balls might work, but their density and/or weight would need to be adjustable.

The original plan was to do it empirically, but what fun would that be?

Kirk
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Hi Kirk,
just out of interest one of the best deer fences I've seen (outside of 8 footers) is one where the posts are driven in at an angle.  It only has to be 6 feet high.  The deer approach but the fence is over their head by the time they are ready to leap so they don't.

Anyway it works in the Okanagan BC, apple orchards.

John
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

Kirk,

Don't forget the anti-freeze!

Kit
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Hmm, wonder if the blue windshield washer fluid I use in the laser tube would work.  Probably better to stick with pink RV antifreeze, Mrs. Moose would be happier afterwards if the cats drink it.

The deer haven't been a problem in the garden lately despite the open gate.  Even the zucchini has stopped growing, probably why the world isn't covered with it.

Back from a trip to the right coast (directionwise, some call the Pacific side of the US the left coast), less than two feet of snow to plow.  Outdoor boiler didn't freeze, so the fallback of extracting heat from the water heater sidearm and house propane boiler works.  Hit at least -5F, further inhibiting the zucchini apocalypse.

Kirk
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

Kirk,
My zucchinis won't grow either, but for the opposite reason. In our little corner of Western Australia we're regularly getting highs of 42C (about 108F) at the moment which makes the veggie patch look very sad indeed.

Happy New Year one and all.

Kit
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Guys:

Auggie has been updated to correct some serial communications errors. Kinematics has been updated
to include magnets. I will explain their use in a video in a few days.

Thx
Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

It might be something weird with my system (W10 IP), but I downloaded the development version off gear2motion and it locks up both firefox and the file manager if I try to execute it, reboot or task manager kill needed to recover it.  Haven't tried since Saturday, will let you know if this one's any different.

Downloaded it from gearotic.com (of course, gets the same file from both sites), firefox (I use opendownload2 to get a run button) hung with what seemed to be one task at 100% CPU (overall went from 3 to 54%, dual core/hyperventilated i5-5200).  Tried again with Chrome to a known location, the file manager hung without any extra CPU when double clicking to open).  Couldn't find GearoticSetup in the process list either time, nor anything else funny (er than usual) poking around in the resource manager.

Kirk
Last edited by Mooselake on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Ive updated the current version. Ive been running kinematics on my own projects for a few days, ( the best way to debug I find),
and trying to select various chains in kinematics was driving me nuts, this has been fixed. You should find it much easier to select
chains. If you find ( due to one chain being the same size and on top of another) that its hard to select the one you want, press tab
and it will cycle though the chains to find the one you want.. Pressing alt while selecting will select a single chain of a larger group..

Thx
Art
Ya-Nvr-No
Old Timer

Post by Ya-Nvr-No »

Thank You, my blood pressure is going back down now  ;D
Attachments
TtheReal-Art.jpg