Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Season 6 begins...

Post by ArtF »

Hi Everyone:

Well, I'm back from vacation, and trying to stay awake to kill the jet lag. I think this is Season 6's
beginning.. So... since I'm awake.. :)

First, let me say welcome to all those that joined us this summer . To those unaware, I typically do a
development season from about Oct to March each year, and let Gearotic simmer for the rest of the time
with only bug releases going out. Typically that is. Last Year I did release a WebTo3d module as I left
the development cycle. It was an experimental module that I used to cut some very nice 3d models from
and released it so I could see how it reacted on various systems. For some it works excellent, for some
not very well. That makes it successful as an experiment, so it will be completed this cycle with
hopefully more standard results, perhaps with more selection options to help it match various systems,
(though it also needs a new video as I did change a few things on its last update which I didn't
explain very well.)

I also have a few bug reports ( or requests ) that I will honor first in this development cycle. My
list is roughly..

1) Slit saw pullout on each pass so that width doesn't have to be set so high and the slit saw will better
clear the material on each pass.
  2) exact Angular placement entry when placing or replacing a gears positions.
  3) Shaft hole rotation for those using non circular shaft holes. I believe this is already there, I just need
    to place it better.
  4) Kerf allowance on tabs in the tabbing module.
  5) 3d Webcam retooling as above.

This is rough and some other small items also remain. We did during the summer have an interesting
conversation on a general purpose involute toothing algorithm for any non circulars teeth, I may investigate
this more this year as well.

Also this summer I began a program called "The Augmented Machine Controller", or "Augie" as I call
in here. This program is a real monster. Originally begin as an investigation for me on some new graphics
techniques, I became hooked on it and it became a screen designer. I decided to add a scripting language
and became even more hopelessly addicted to it. As I result I actually coded much of the summer and the
result is ...well, kinda cool, but not I think ready for users as yet. It does now do I/O on a pokeys
and can use the Pokeys devices very quickly. It does not yet do motion, I am leaving that for last
since the laser it will control is still being refitted with a pokeys board to drive it so I dont yet require
motion. The end goal is for it to drive my laser ( or any other machine that doesnt really fit the mould
of CNC, but does move motors. Such as a laser. You CAN drive one with traditional CNC, but you always
end up wishing it was more powerfull in features for that device. Coil Winders, Chocolate makers, 3d Printers
and other machine kinda fit CNC generally but then they dont in the specific, Auggie is aiming to help there.

We're finding, in playing with it, that its a very powerful way to teach a person scripting. Since its
language is a variant of "C", its quite good at showing even a novice how to program in an easy environment
and it encourages the user to think about the best way to easily do something. YaNvrNo has become something of an expert in its use, and between us we've had a lot of fun playing with it. It will be released this cycle as a separate Icon on your desktop. It will have no license requirement in the near future so even demo users will be able to use it fully if they wish.
  I can see it will take a few videos to show its usage,
and that will begin to be done this cycle as well. I may add an Arduino interface so it can be used as
a script-able control panel for quick Arduino projects of many kinds. We'll see how it goes and if people
like playing with it. As Auggie no longer really resembles the peek video on it, it will be removed soon
so a new more comprehensive one can be done. I expect it to start appearing on desktops from the
Gearotic Install by late November perhaps.

Of course there are many more requests and suggestions for Gearotic, I get quite a few. Im always open
to discussion on them as the development cycle progresses, I have wanted to add more CAD for example
, but I don't want to reinvent wheels too often as I see so many great programs out there easily
available to hobbyists and I tend to have more fun and think the time better spent when I add something
hard to get otherwise.

In the end my goal is software for the hobby guy who wants to play around and make stuff. Its fairly eclectic and tends to follow what I find interesting, and quite often what I find interesting it what you guys
discuss or display, so comment on anything you wish at any time. I really appreciate the snippets and
interesting things everyone posts, they have often led me down interesting roads.  I'm honored so many
decide to join in the conversations.

If you have a request I haven't mentioned, or wish to bump a previous suggestion, now the time as I plan
the coming cycle. Cant promise Ill do it, cant promise I'm capable of it, but I read them all and they all are considered or attempted.

So.. Here we go again..Winter is coming...  :)

Art

MarkG
Old Timer

Re: Season 6 begins...

Post by MarkG »

Any thoughts on supporting crown gears:
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

when you fire out the next version of the 3D scanner chuck it my way please I will test it to death
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Mark:

>>Any thoughts on supportin g crown gears:

Tell you what, describe how you'd like a crown gear to look. There are a few possibilities.. involuted ( which would be hard to make as that would basically be a 90 degree bevel, or teeth to run on pins? Perhaps the triangular ones we sometimes see? Im up for adding that as a subtype of one gear or another ..

Art
MarkG
Old Timer

Post by MarkG »

Involuted would be preferred, I would assume this could only be cut with a fourth axis or 3D printed.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Ill give it some thought as to how it could be implemented and see where it leads. :)

Art
Nate
Old Timer

Post by Nate »

MarkG wrote: Involuted would be preferred, I would assume this could only be cut with a fourth axis or 3D printed.
Does that mean 'like involute bevel gears' or something else?
OColumbus
Old Timer

Post by OColumbus »

I was hoping to see the ability to simulate circular gears with removed teeth

I already ordered my P510 Bronze for the gears ;)
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

You mean all teeth removed..or only some?

Art
OColumbus
Old Timer

Post by OColumbus »

Sorry yes only a few teeth.

Art you are very respectable, being in IT no one replies and cares as much as you.

I guess that's how people really make a difference. Thank you for your life lessons. (Not at all trying to make my simple suggestions rise in priority) 
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Yeah, I hear you. I think everyone deserves a responce, and we try to always answer. Its what
killed me at Mach3, there I got over a hundred a day, this place is nice and quiet. Some days I can
hear the crickets chirping over there in the corner where the old rusty gears are stored. :)

Ill give the idea some thought. The Geneva gears do that already, but their constrained, normal
gears have a bit of an issue if you do that.. but you never know...

Art