Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Version 2.298 online.

Post by ArtF »

Karl:

I might add one other thing, while you CAN get 3d heads from a single photo, they usually rely on a trick
of using whats called an EigenHead, there are a small number of head shapes called Eigenheads that come
close to 90% of human head shapes, while they look not much like the person, if you then print a photo
of that person on that shape, it then looks fairly good. Remove the photo and the effect goes away.
  I suspect that fact will lower the 1 million appraisal quite a bit. :)

Art
KKirk
Old Timer

Post by KKirk »

In my lifetime I've run across many "experts" that talk a good talk.  But in this case I know someone that not only can talk the talk, but actually has an example running in code.  There's a big difference between these principals.  Maybe they would be interested in purchasing a library of functions.  I love to see the worthy get their just rewards. 

Enjoy your summer.

Karl
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

you could say gearotic is worth more than 1 mill,

but if someone makes a half arise product that takes 3 weeks to do something that can be done in a day with the many other 3D scanners, printers its not worth a mill then
KKirk
Old Timer

Post by KKirk »

Here is my latest project.  Same subject.  Moved camera to center of screen.  Let the Gearotica iterate all night long.  I used a .0624" ball nosed, 2 flute end mill for the final pass. I am very impressed, but still want more detail.

Now I think I need to find a primer that I can paint on to remove the wood grain while not filling in any detail.  Any ideas?  Also a much smaller cutter is needed to get more detail. 

I need to know where I could find High Density urethane foam?  Would normal foam sheets from Home depot work?  Seems like it would be very messy?  I am also somewhat limited by a 2,000 rpm spindle!!

Karl
Attachments
Karl 8.jpg
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Karl:

Very nice...

As to methods, so far Ive only played in foam, and one in wood. Dark wood doesnt work very well I find.
The Foam is the best, check with a sign shop, they may sell you a chunk, its very expensive..

The Foam from home depot does work well actually, and without as much mess as youd think, but the real
sign foam powders away like fine white sand. I find so far the best effect is on any material thats flat in texture,
shadows well without specular highlights..

Let me know how you make out. Im investigating in my time off possible ways to make all this much better..

Art
Nate
Old Timer

Post by Nate »

ArtF wrote: Amazing world isnt it? I wish them great luck, I suspect they had calls
from a host of good mathematicians the day after. Im still working on a much
improved ( hopefully) 3d puller for the fall, perhaps Ill add a superhero
body arrangement.. :)
Photogrammetry is a field of technology and research, and there are useful ways to combine data from lots of pictures (i.e. motion video).  I get the impression that the tech isn't mature yet, but it's not that far off.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Probably never be a mature one, it just keeps getting better. As one of my interests I watch and try to keep up, and
our stereo module is just my way of playing in that field. These are very brainy people that come up with this stuff..

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

https://youtu.be/uuAIfcAqc-w

For those following the 3d thread.. I thought you might like to see how the algorithms are coming along during my summer break. This is a low res image ( 320x240 ) and took 8 seconds to create in the new code base. An 800x600 takes about 30 seconds. The quality is better than the previous code after 24 hours of run. If you look carefully you can see the face pulls out at a sharper angle from background features. IT much better follows the gradient contours of the original data. Still lots more optimising to do yet though.

The new code breaks an image down into frequencies, and then does a 3d pull from each of the frequencies adding them up as it collapes
a pyramid of mip maps of the original data, this makes it faster, and much more sensitive.

I still have more to add and a couple of ideas of how to turn it into more of an interactive experience for the user to guide it into
the result you may want for a given use.

Anyway, back to playing..

Art
danmauch
Old Timer

Post by danmauch »

Wow! That is the best yet.
Dan Mauch
Bloy
Old Timer

Post by Bloy »

ArtF wrote:

Anyway, back to playing..

Art
:)
Thanks,
John M
Sturgeon Bay, WI
KKirk
Old Timer

Post by KKirk »

Cheeks seem to have lines almost like a 3d printed image.

Eyes seem to have much better definition.

Of no use to me, but the hair also seems much more defined.

Get more impressive with each interation!

Karl
KKirk
Old Timer

Post by KKirk »

Hi Art

My granddaughter stopped by today and since she is my main desire to make a 3d image of, I got her to pose.  I did not like what I got.  Her face seemed distorted.  So we went into a darkened closet and tried again.  This time I used the new "save photos" option.  When I tried to reload them, nothing seemed to have happened. So I reloaded Gearotic and loaded the photos.  They loaded but upside down.  Not a real problem, because when you cut it, who cared which end is up or down, just turn over the part when complete.  I am going to let it run all night and see if it gets better.

Another 2 weeks and we meet again at CNC Workshop 2015.  I'm really looking forward to it!

Karl
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Karl:

The entire module has been recoded at this point...not quite ready for release yet, but the results are more impressive with each iteration.

As to the CNC workshop, I dont think Im going to make it, I had planned on being there, but Im afraidsoem previous arrangements had fallen through, Im hoping next year it all comes together..

Art
KKirk
Old Timer

Post by KKirk »

Art

OK, I'll stop sending observations, until I get the next version.

But, not coming to the cnc workshop is a real let down. You can be sure, we will be talking about you!

I look forward to next year.

Karl

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Karl:

Im sure my ears will burn... :)

Art