Version 2.292 online

Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
danmauch
Old Timer

Re: Version 2.292 online

Post by danmauch »

I loaded the latest version about 20 minutes ago. I installed it and then ran it. I get an error glut32.dll is missing?
Dan Mauch
danmauch
Old Timer

Post by danmauch »

I just d/led it again and now it loads ok. I;m using win7 32bit with a I5 CPU
Dan
Last edited by danmauch on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Dan:

Thanks. To be honest I was expecting a bit of blowback on this version, its the first one ever generated by VS2013 in Win7
as Ive now upgraded from XP on my development system. Its been a very long time Ive been on XP, so far the upgrade is pretty
good, few of you seem to paying any price for my bravery. :)

Let me know how you find it Dan, Im hoping my 27" monitor isnt the reason i seem to get such great results. Ill have to get my laptop
out and sit in fron of my tv to see how that works.

Art
richard dillon
Old Timer

Post by richard dillon »

I disabled the cam drivers and the program started up again. So it must be the drivers sooooooooooooo

OK  I started from scratch. Removed gearotic program, file, cam drivers. Installed gearotic. Ran gearotic. It loaded the driver files in windows automatically. It works now! The only thing it doesn't let me do is choose the res.  There are no options.  It's set at 640 X 480 on the output side. Is this a function on the cam or driver, or should I be seeing options in the resolutions screen. Sorry to make you work so hard!
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Richard:

No problem. The camera operation in DirectShow is very convoluted, its amazing how hard a webcam is to control programatically.
The RES options you get come from the system as reported by your camera. Now I may not be getting them the most efficiant way
so it could be my fault, though I cannot yet see where. But if you had options before and dont now.. it may be a symptom of camera
driver trouble. (Unless you have more than 1 camera..I havent yet tested dual camera's but I have anbother on the way,
so Ill test that soon.). 640 x 480 is the default ( and works pretty good, just a bit slower than the msaller res's.. so at least you should be
able to run..). I personally always use 640x480 here..Higher res is way too large, and the detail is mostly wasted anyway..

Art
danmauch
Old Timer

Post by danmauch »

I have a 19 in monitor that I also used with Mimix. It worked well. In your program I am only getting a confidence value of 3.5-4.5.
I have adjusted the monitors brightness all the way from 100 down to 25 and back up. What is strange is that while down around 50 I got an improvement to 6.2 but then when I refired it it dropped to ~4. I'll play with it a little more to see if I can get better results changing my camera settings.
Dan Mauch

ArtF wrote: Hi Dan:

Thanks. To be honest I was expecting a bit of blowback on this version, its the first one ever generated by VS2013 in Win7
as Ive now upgraded from XP on my development system. Its been a very long time Ive been on XP, so far the upgrade is pretty
good, few of you seem to paying any price for my bravery. :)

Let me know how you find it Dan, Im hoping my 27" monitor isnt the reason i seem to get such great results. Ill have to get my laptop
out and sit in fron of my tv to see how that works.

Art
danmauch
Old Timer

Post by danmauch »

Here is what I found. The first images confidence was in the 3-5 range with me being about 15" from the screen. Adjusting the brightness had little affect. Then the AhhhA moment occurred and I moved my face a couple inches from the screen and the confidence level shot up to 25.6 and with me being even closer the confidence was 38.

Dan Mauch
danmauch wrote: I loaded the latest version about 20 minutes ago. I installed it and then ran it. I get an error glut32.dll is missing?
Dan Mauch
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Dan:

Wow, Id say either your camera doesnt have the gain mine does, or your monitor is dimmer than you think..

Interesting though, it will become clearer as moe report I guess, Im glad I added in a confidence number so we cn all compare, I think the secret of perfecting this lies there somewhere...

Art
richard dillon
Old Timer

Post by richard dillon »

Art
        Thanks for all the help. Guess I'm gonna buy a different cam since my screen is dead in my laptop. I am using another monitor plugged into it, so it's not easy positioning the laptop by the monitor, but I do get results.
My new idea is to use 4 photo transistors coupled to the monitor, to trigger 4 led strips reading the pixel transitions on the screen. Your method of bars on the screen does not enable positioning the transistors so that only one is on at a time, since the bars are adjacent and overlap. I could use gates or counters to trigger the led strip, but illuminating one spot where the photo transistors are placed is cheaper and faster. No need for extravagant arduino circuits or usb..... I think a external method away from the monitor would improve the results. The led strips are so cheap now. Just an idea.

PS, I might not post here often, but rest assured The Drudgereport doesn't get that many more clicks than gearotic.com in this house. Always interested in something new. Have a good vacation.
KKirk
Old Timer

Post by KKirk »

Hi Art

I think I have found the error I was having with ver 2.297.  When I selected the "add stl" button Gearotic goes into an infinite loop requiring a "3 finger salute" reset.  When I change the output dimensions from "3 x 2.4" to "100 x 80", I got my first stl file out.  I must be in metric instead of imperial.  Hope this helps. 

Also I still have no resolution values in the pull down for camera resolution.  Probably a camera "feature".

I'm using a laptop and laptop camera.

Karl

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Karl:

Check the options menu, ( gear icon on top menu) and see if you in Metric or not. Interesting result and Ill check to see whay a very small metric woudl hold htings up. I appreciate the info.

Art
KKirk
Old Timer

Post by KKirk »

Art
Here is output #2  confidence Value 54.548 I am going to try and 3d print it.
Attachments
DSC06887.JPG
GlennD
Old Timer

Post by GlennD »

Art
Great work.  
Win 7 64bit.  Logitech Quickcam Pro9000.
In a not bright but lit room a confidence at best of 9.  I could get a acceptable STL but not great.
There are a lot of resolution setting with the quickcam. I tried a the lower ones.

I didn't get to try it when the sun went down yesterday( darker room) hopefully tonight.

Thanks
Glenn
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Ill be posting  new version shortly, it fixes problems in outputtting the stl, and has more error codes to help
me track down other faults..

Ive also increased the normals resolution, performance seems better..

Art
slowbob
Old Timer

Post by slowbob »

I dont know if this is an issue or not, but I noticed when I installed on my 64bit machine it only offered up the 32bit at the end. I don't up upgrade the redistributables anyway but I thought I used to get the option of both 32 and 64.

Thanks!
Bob Stack