Information about latest Revision level of the software
and current Download Links.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Version 2.290 online.

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

Version 2.290 is online now. Ill make a video for it shortly , Im still seeking a couple bugs.
In this version you can tooth the functionals. Partial rotation gears can be created, but I need to
explain a couple limitations in the video. On some gears the mesh will look wrong until you hit simulate,
and on the properties tab you should have "Reverse" selected as the "Blockage Responce mode".   
    If you do, partial gears will act like racks and reverse the simulation when they hit their end stop.
Partial gears only happen with "Roll" turned off on the design screen.
Ill explain this further in the video.

Toothing has been updated, sped up and made more accurate for both noncirculars and the functionals.
AnitAliasing has been added as well to make the curves more curved and get rid of the slowing zigzag artifacts,
if you zoom way in on a tooth and watch its creation youll see the dreaded zigzags go away at end of toothing..

This will be the final release of new capability till next development season, Ill be taking about 6 months
to catch up on personal projects, design a new ticker( hopefully), and do research for next development season.
Gearotic is 5-1/2 years old this month. It has grown quite a bit and I think now offers capabilities hard to
find anywhere else... we, as a group, have done well.  From appearing in Digital Machinist magazine to being in the credits
of the movie "The Box Trolls", this program has gone much further than I had ever figured. I thank you all for your
support, your ideas and the great stuff youve built and shared.

Bug reports and bug fixes will of course continue to be released, and support will continue at normal levels.
Next development season will start around September, so youve until then to make your desires known for any additions
you think would be popular with your fellow gearheads.

Have fun,

Art

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Version 2.290 online.

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Slight correction, Gearotic is 4-1/2 years old this month.. it just felt longer.. :)

Art
GKurtz
Old Timer

Post by GKurtz »

Art,

Thanks for the Antialiasing update.

Although, the tooth path is superior to non-antialiasing, there are still some jagies.

Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Elliptical.jpg
Last edited by GKurtz on Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Yes, its  dual triangle detector, so it can miss some jaggies. Hard to tell how bad it is from your photos, if I load
youir dxf into Vectric and select a node-edit, so I can see each point, it shows no reversals where your photo seems to show
reversals that I dont think exist.. though there are definitely a few small divots in it.
  I will continue to work on that part of the system to see what can be done to make it better, on the bright side, it is
99% cleaner than last week. :)

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi All:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63XCHRgKybY

New video for toothing in the functional module. The program was updated an hour or so ago.
Save version number of 2.290

Thx
Art
GKurtz
Old Timer

Post by GKurtz »

Art,

I have attached a jpg showing the location of the jagies.  The jagies are located at the 10 o'clock position.

Gary
Attachments
Ellipitical Gear.jpg
Last edited by GKurtz on Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

While watching the video you increase the width of functional gears to decrease the tooth width.  I checked non-circular gears, and it works the same way on ellipticals and logarithmics.  However, for spur gears increasing the width increases the tooth width.

I would have expected it to work the same way for all three gear types.  Am I missing something?

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kirk:

On spur gears your inceasing the calculations for tooth width, increasing the tooth width setting will indeed increase the width of the actual tooth, but in noncirculars , the settings refer to the rack that generates the tooth, the wider it gets, the narrower the tooth gets. So they differ in that way, its just a matter of context.

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Gary:

Yes , I see them. Ill see if I can tighten the filter any.

Thx
Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Guys:

Im playing with web camera->3d image techniques.. Dunno if it will ever make it into a release, but heres a small initial test... Just webcam..monitor and time..

Art
Attachments
ArtPhotoMetrics.jpg
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Heres one rotation.. my code seems deficicent..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5NgpJq9fOE

Art
Steve Fox
Old Timer

Post by Steve Fox »

Art,

That is GREAT.  I'm building a CNC router and I've spent the last couple of weeks looking for software that will do exactly this without costing an arm and a leg.

I'm building a grandfather clock for my daughter, who is a veterinarian.  I want to make some raised panels for the base that have her dogs and cats on them.  This is just what I'm looking for.

Not to give you ideas, but I think you could sell this under a separate title.  Based on what I've found, or haven't found, I think there would be a big demand.

I'm going to be away from the internet for the next five or six weeks.
Do you think you could have it done by then?

Just kidding....I can't wait. 

Actually, I guess I can,
Steve Fox

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Steve:

You may have trouble getting the cats and dogs to sit still... lol

I have researched this type of technology because of personal interest, Im amazed there arent more
of them out there to play with. There are a few papers describing how to do it , though I have only begun
to play in this, so my code is pretty slow. It does require a live subject though , the webcam takes 3 shots quickly
with the monitor playing a pattern. so the object has to stay still for at least  0.25 seconds or so.. and up to 1 second
for some webcams..
  It will be added to gearotic if it proves itself usefull.... hard to say though, this is all finicky stuf...

Art
Steve Fox
Old Timer

Post by Steve Fox »

Art,

I know I can get them to sit still that long individually, but it may be difficult in multiples.
She has taken several pictures of them all, but not arranged the way she wants.  I have no problem breaking them up.

She got married in October and her husband is a vet, also.
Between them, they have three dogs and two cats.

If you consider this a vote, that makes two.  You have to count the other post, too.  Keep up the good work.

I have to say, this was by far the best software purchase I have ever made. 
I bought this to make some replacement gears for my old Atlas lathe. 
Next was wooden gears for clocks, still working on that.  Now this. 
It just gets better and better.

Thank you,
Steve Fox

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thank you Steve,

One of the most gratifying things about developing Gearotic..is the responce of the people who use it.

Art