Orientation of pulley exported via DXF into Fusion 360?

Software helpfull to Gear makers.
tomb18
Old Timer

Orientation of pulley exported via DXF into Fusion 360?

Post by tomb18 »

Hi,
I'm very new to all of this so please bear with me...
I created a pulley in Gearotic.  Very simple, just the default pulley when you click on Pulley.  I then proceed to export to DXF.  All this works well.  However, when I import this into Fusion 360, the orientation is with the gear face facing the X-Y plane whereas it should be lying down instead (so that I can increase the thickness in the Z plane.)
Nothing I do in Fusion 360 will change the orientation.  The option to redefine the plane is missing.  If I create a sketch in Fusion 360 then the option to redefine plane is there but not upon import of the DXF.  Can anyone help please?
Thanks
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Orientation of pulley exported via DXF into Fusion 360?

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Pulleys ( in fact all items in Gearotic) are generated in the XY plane with Z being height or depth ..
to "Lie Down" as you put it, woudl imply a pulley or gear made in the XZ or YZ plane with the Y or X being UP..

(Not that cant be done in many programs, but typically in CNC< XY is the flat plane lying down, and the Z is the thickness of the object or height it will reach.)

I dont use Fusion 360, but Im assuming you can set a home plane or origin, you need to specify that as XY being the surface of your
imaginary table..

Perhaps a Fusion user will kick in on how that is done..

Art

DanL
Old Timer

Re: Orientation of pulley exported via DXF into Fusion 360?

Post by DanL »

tomb18 pm me your gear or someone post one, I will have to do a vid it will take a bit to get it done but it can there is a couple of ways to do it, but it depends on the the type of dxf file it is.
I see you got it sorted http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-va ... -p/5932022
Last edited by DanL on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.