Changing Part Zero in 4th Axis Tool

Forum focus is on traditional conventional ways in gear cutting.
SBeckwith85
Old Timer

Changing Part Zero in 4th Axis Tool

Post by SBeckwith85 »

I have been using the 4th axis tool on gearotic 2.0 to design the g-code for cutting a cycloidal gear on a vertical mill using a shaped gear cutter (i.e. a profiled silting saw). After much experimentation and many back plots in my control software I have the code very close to being good to go. The one thing that is stumping me at the moment is how to change the part zero coordinate. In the 4th axis tool on gearotics the origin or starting point relative to the work piece is always on the wrong side of the work piece/gear blank (– in reality this would not provide enough clearance between the cutting tool and the vertical mill column/saddle to pass the gear blank through). I've tried adjusting a few variables in the options including (I’m not sure of the exact function of these)  the 4th axis option for (x++, x--, y++ and y--) and similarly what I thought would be the solution the start point option e.g. “bottom left”, “bottom right” etc. None of those seemed to have any affect on the part zero location in the 4th axis tool.  How can I go about relocating the origin to the other side of the gear blank?

Attached is a PDF diagram to assist in illustrating what I'm getting at.

Many thanks.
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

SBeckwith85
Old Timer

Re: Changing Part Zero in 4th Axis Tool

Post by SBeckwith85 »

I did solve this issues.

I ended up going through manually and reversing the signs, i.e. swapping all -ve for positve values to effectively create the mirror image. It's a bit time consuming hence my post above. Thought there may be a quicker way using a tool in Gearotics or a macros of some description in the g-code to reverse the signs.

If anyone knows of a quicker, more efficient way to arrive at this outcome I would be very grateful.

Cheers,
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Changing Part Zero in 4th Axis Tool

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

This is my fault really, I hadnt considered your issue in development. I will, this fall while implementing Johns request for full pullout of slitsaws , add a
"reverse side" checkbox for you to use. Thanks for the suggestion/Bug.

Art