Timing gear belt length calculator

For suggestions for future additions
Mark Demczuk
Old Timer

Timing gear belt length calculator

Post by Mark Demczuk »

First of all, just wanted to say thanks for such a great bit of software. Great work :)

Not sure how many people would find this useful, or how hard it would be but it would be nice to have a belt length and center calculator for timing gears. I know there is the calculator, but (as far as I can see) it only works for 2 gears that are the same. It would be good to be able to calculate for gears that are different sizes. I guess the same could be done for sprockets too.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks..
Last edited by Mark Demczuk on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Timing gear belt length calculator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:
  There is such a calculation. If you have two timing pulleys on the screen , press the Belt Length
button. Now you just enter the center distance you intend to use, press calc and it will tell you the length the
minimum belt length will be in mm's ( or inches) as well as how many teeth will be on that belt. Remember that
this is a minimum though, you usually will use a slightly longer belt..

If you change the number of teeth on either pulley and redo this, youll find the belt getting longer as
proof that both pulleys are included in the calculation. No catenary curve is calculated or corrected for, so
be prepared to add a couple teeth to the belt length to get one to actually fit properly..

Art
Mark Demczuk
Old Timer

Re: Timing gear belt length calculator

Post by Mark Demczuk »

So it does :)

I should of tied it first.

Thanks again.