Club Footed Escapement

For suggestions for future additions
John T
Old Timer

Club Footed Escapement

Post by John T »

I have asked about this before - but since it has been about a year, here goes again. 
I think that a Club Footed escapement would be a worthwhile addition to the escapements that you already have in the program.

One particular advantage of this type of escapement is that the pallets can be made easily adjustable allowing for adjustment and experimenting with both the lock and the drop.  This makes control of the pendulum swing something that one can play with.

Having made a couple of these I have found them really forgiving and fun to work with.
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
steve323
Old Timer

Re: Club Footed Escapement

Post by steve323 »

What features of the club foot do you find to be the most important?  Most of the designs I see have long skinny "legs" that would be very weak in a wood clock.  It may work great in brass though.

I have been experimenting with 3D printed clocks and found that the traditional deadbeat escapement does not print well.  The pointy tips get shortened slightly.  The fix is to give some width to the escapement teeth while reducing the pallet width by the same amount.  This gives a much more consistent printed escapement.  The impulse surfaces are similar to a club foot escapement.

Steve

Attachments
escapement.jpg
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

The advantages 1  The club footed escape wheel teeth are very robust and do not have small delicate points to worry about and the impulse face is shared by both the escape wheel and the pallets. 2  the impulse faces share the work so that the reaction of the pallets is easier control, 3.  The actual pallets are usually individually adjustable for depth allowing a mechanical adjustment on an assembled unit (clock).

I find these points make it really nice for wood.
Attachments
Club.jpg
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Im running an experiment on making a parametric clubfoot in Vexx
to see how it woudl scale as a drop in replacement for the normal lever types.

Ill let you know how it works out and in the end probably at least add access
to the test code that will hopefully generate one to normal specs.

May be a couple weeks ..

Art
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

Thank you very much