planetary gears

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
Lesmarx
Old Timer

planetary gears

Post by Lesmarx »

Greetings all,I am using gearotic (licensed) on my pc, 3.5ghz with 8 gigs ram and windows7 pro. I am trying to make a planetary gearbox and am having the following problems.To summarise;
1 Start gearotic and go to global settings and select metric and spur gears then OK. Still shows project as Imperial.
2 Select circ and disable decorations. Yellow background appears with 2 similar gears with summary for each.
3 In circular gear setup I select 65 teeth with 20mm width and planetary checked.(Wheel) Display changes accordingly.
4 Select gear size of 125mm. This changes DP accordingly.
5 Selection now shows tooth width to be 0.50 and this differs from the summary shown above?
6 Change back to 20mm width and now display shows the wheel with lines internally (Looks like a basketball net from above)
7 Select add wheel and display changes to project with gear summary on both sides of the display but no gear shown and project showing no gears.
8 Select undo and summaries both disappear and project saved. Go back to tools menu and after a few moments Gearotic crashes.

I am running Norton security, could this cause problems? Or am I just being dof (Afrikaans for really stupid!) I have Gearotic 3.17 loaded. Any help would be really appreciated. I want to transport the 65 tooth wheel to solid works so that I can draw a 3d part for printing so will save it as an stl file.
Best regards
Les
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: planetary gears

Post by ArtF »

Hi Les:

>>1 Start gearotic and go to global settings and select metric and spur gears then OK. Still shows project as Imperial.

Youd need to press "new project" ( the blank page icon to restart the project for the name to change.

>>eth with 20mm width and planetary checked.

The width your setting is the pitch shifting, stubbing width. It should be set to .5 for almost everything. Unless your specifically
going for alternate tooth widths. Face Width is for the height "facewidth of tooth face across gear). To alter size of gear you need to
use the DP or Mod. (Or use the calculator button to change DP as a function of diameter.).

The lines looking like basketball are probably due to tooth width being outside .25 - .95 range.

Art.
Lesmarx
Old Timer

Post by Lesmarx »

Thanks Art, I'm glad it's just finger problems! Stunning software, many thanks :thumbup:
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thanks. It has a few too many settings in truth. Ask anytime you understandably get confused on a setting. In upcoming software I am adding
"Expert Mode" checkboxes to turn off settings that confuse and are rarely used.
While Ticker will not be complete for some time, I am trying to get to a point I can do a release as a physics sandbox for the various
types of gears while phase 3 gets done where other types of things than gears can be added.

Art
Lesmarx
Old Timer

Post by Lesmarx »

By the way, how do you add the central gear to a planetary gearbox?
Les
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Les:

So long as the tooth selections are correct you can simply add the central gear to any planet gear.
Gearotic only understands the connection from one gear to another so as long as the tooth counts
are correct, it will "seem" to mesh fine.

Gearotic's weakness is that no gear can move its position once placed. They can only spin. Upcoming
Ticker will allow full motion of a gear depending on its position and placement in the train. (Which will
undoubtedly cause many more strange issues.. :) )

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

I suspect it's considerably more effort, but have you considered pop up "tool tips" when hovering over options?

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

The new GUI is much more configurable, so I can probably add better explanations..

Art