60TOOTH XL PULLEY ROOT DEPTH

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

60TOOTH XL PULLEY ROOT DEPTH

Post by Dan Mauch »

I measured a couple factory made 60T XL timing pulleys and see that the depth of the root is  .050" when I create a 60T XL pulley in GM 3.02 and using the dimension feature of my CAD program I measure the depth to be .070" Why is there a difference. I would think GM would also have a .05"depth.
Dan Mauch
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 60TOOTH XL PULLEY ROOT DEPTH

Post by BobL »

Dan;

Again I'm no expert in this field, however from what I understand of these, the root tolerance can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Since most belts do not touch the bottom of the roots, and as long as the tooth pitch and the general form of the tooth is correct, then I was led to believe that the actual fillets and roots tend to be pretty tolerant. Do you have the specification sheet of this 60T XL pulley, or is this just measurements taken from existing pulleys?

Cheers
Bob
:)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Post by Dan Mauch »

I have a batch of various  XL timing pulleys. I measured several of them and found you are correct. The root depth does vary for .040 to .070"
Thanks Bob
Dan Mauch
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Dan:

Yup, specs do vary, sometimes considerably.. and sometimes the written specs are purposely fudged.. weird world of pulley specs...

Art