Some usability issues

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
Viljo
Old Timer

Some usability issues

Post by Viljo »

Hello!

I started to make some belt pulleys and ran into some annoyances and one possible bug (or misinformation, in case it's not a bug). I use 3.00000000000 version :)

1. I want to make a T5 pulley. Open the Pulley tool, set the params as needed and add the pulley to the project. So far, so good, Pulley tool is still present and I can go back to it to mod the pulley. Now I want export that pulley as DXF from a project. As soon as I click the DXF button, "Pulley" tool at the bottom of the screen is gone and everything needs to start from scratch.

Related to above - would it be possible to make dxf exports directly from the Tool, not only from gears (and things), that are added to the project?

2. Specific case of a pulley making. I make T5N pulley, 42 tooth, set shaft dia as 54mm. Then I change shaft dia to 6mm and hit enter. Shaft dia is actually entered as 49.5561. Happens every time.

3. Belt length calculator. "42 tooth mating with 42 Tooth". I know "Teeth on Belt" is 82 and want to know center distance. Doesn't calculate, although it says to enter any two factors. Works when I enter only belt length or center distance. Tangent to that, I think it would be nice to fill the input box value automatically to zero, if it is just empty. Currently it asks to enter an integer, even if 3 params are entered and 4th box is empty that needs to be calculated...
My engravings and things - www.viljomarrandi.com
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Some usability issues

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

>>1. I want to make a T5 pulley. Open the Pulley tool, set the params as needed and add the pulley to the project. So far, so good, Pulley tool is still present and I can go back to it to mod the pulley. Now I want export that pulley as DXF from a project. As soon as I click the DXF button, "Pulley" tool at the bottom of the screen is gone and everythin g needs to start from scratch.

I have fixed this for next release so your pulley type and tooth count will reappear if you re-select pulley. I agree
it was annoying to take you back to a default selection, pulleys most specially as they vary widely in mod and shaft size requirements.

>>Related to above - would it be possible to make dxf exports directly from the Tool, not only from gears (and things), that are added to the project?

Not possible at the moment Im afraid, but I will aim in that direction on next major upgrade to Gearotic. Thx for the
suggestion.

>>>2. Specific case of a pulley making. I make T5N pulley, 42 tooth, set shaft dia as 54mm. Then I change shaft dia to 6mm and hit enter. Shaft dia is actually entered as 49.5561. Happens every time.

Me too. Found and fixed.

>>3. Belt length calculato r. "42 tooth mating with 42 Tooth".

Also fixed for next update. Since the program knows the mod and belt toothcount in that case, it will now compute
and check the length against what it knows.  Thx for that one as well. :)

Thx
Art
Viljo
Old Timer

Post by Viljo »

This is excellent, thanks! Can't wait for the new release, then :)

This exporting DXF directly from the pulley tool idea was actually because the Pulley tool dissappeared when the export was done from project. But if that stays in place with previously generated gear, then that's not so much of a problem.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

:)

Sorry for the delay in releasing the fixes, the next version has a lot of changes, so I'm doing
quite a bit of renovation on sections of the code. Its taking me longer than usual due to the scope
of the fixes and changes. Shouldn't be too much longer, I'm on the last tool before Ill put it out..
and its an experimental one, so its being a bear..

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

OT, but @viljo your web site is very impressive.  A few years ago one of my daughters and I spent almost a week in Estonia (mostly Tallinn and Saaremaa).  It's on my list of places to go back to.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thanks for mentioning that Kirk, I hadnt gone to the site.
  Excellent Work, Viljo , awesome engravings.

Art

Viljo
Old Timer

Post by Viljo »

Thanks for the kind words. This engraving stuff is a good example of how a hobby can become a full-time gig...

Kirk, indeed, Estonia is nice in the summertime... both days of it :)
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

<< Estonia is nice in the summertim e... both days of it Smiley

&nbsp; You get TWO!?!?!??!????? Luck bastard..

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

ArtF wrote:You get TWO!?!?!??!????? Luck bastard..
I was thinking the same thing; we were there in mid June, bought a real nice sweater in a street fair in Tallinn since I'd mistakenly planned for warmer weather.&nbsp; We went to the longest day festival on Kuressaare.&nbsp; The bonfire wasn't warm enough, so we hung out in the beer tent with everybody else to escape the cold rain.&nbsp; Nice and warm in there.&nbsp; To be fair, it was the worst weather on the trip, which was mostly sunny.&nbsp; Lots of hewn log buildings; our house and a couple outbuildings were built that way by the original Finnish owners.

It's pretty high on the revisit list, although maybe we'll go in July or August next time :)

Where in Estonia are you?

Kirk
Viljo
Old Timer

Post by Viljo »

Indeed, July-August has much bigger chance of hitting those 2 days of good weather :)

I am in the middle of Estonia. Middle of nowhere... Nice view from workshop, though.
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

If summer comes on a weekend we throw a picnic :)

We're on the north end of nowhere, on a peninsula in Lake Superior.&nbsp; Last week the view was all red and yellow leaves, this week it's almost all bare trees.&nbsp; Next week it might be all white fluffy stuff, ya nvr no about the weather here, although with luck that will hold off for a while.

Kirk