Gear can not be selected and does not appear in project tree.

This is for reporting any trouble you may have
dsalihi
Old Timer

Gear can not be selected and does not appear in project tree.

Post by dsalihi »

I have created a project and everything was working as expected.  At some point in time a couple of the gears could no longer be selected with the mouse and the gears disappeared from the project view.  Yet the gears are visible and function as expected in the simulation.

How go I fix this.
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gear can not be selected and does not appear in project tree.

Post by BobL »

dsalihi;

Sorry to hear your having issues, can your send me the project file of this gear train so I can have a look for you? However should you have selected a different gear as the master wheel from the project tree, this type of behavior could occur.

Cheers
Bob
:-\
Gearotic Motion
Bob
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Hmm, can you post it here so we can look at it.. or zip it up and send to us so I can look at it too.
I have no reports of gears disappearing ..specially when they are on the screen.. so if I have the project, I may be
able to fix the problem and the program so it doesnt happen again.

Thx
Art
dsalihi
Old Timer

Post by dsalihi »

I have attached a zip of the .gth file.  The problem items are  the largest gear in the center,  the small one behind it,  and the two indicators.  They should all be on the "main shaft".

Thanks,

Dana
Attachments
liqgears.zip
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 233 times
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Dana:

On top of the tree, the first selection in the buttons is "Sort Type", select "Sort as list" and your gears
and indicators will show up. Default is "Sort by shaft" and you seem to have deleted the shaft they all sit on,
so they dont show up in the list. I will look at adding them in under "NoShaft" for when this occurs, but
once you delete the shaft , youd have to place a gear on that spot, delte the gear, but not its shaft,
and then link the3 master gear to that remaining shaft, but in your case, its probably a lot easier
to simply select "Sort as List."

Thx
Art

dsalihi
Old Timer

Post by dsalihi »

I can see the gears when I select "Sort by List".  I think I can get it back in order.

One comment regarding how I got into this state. 

You are correct about deleting the shaft.  I had done this intentionally because the project view had another issue which may be the root cause of the problem. I deleted the shaft because "Main Shaft"  was appearing twice in the project view.  It appeared at the top of the tree as expected with the associated gears,  but it also appeared as a subitem of "Shaft-E".    In addition "Shaft-E" was a subitem of "Main Shaft".  Somehow these shafts got "associated" with each other.  I think it first occurred when I was moving gears around (the two shafts locations may have become co-located?). 

I hope this info helps.

Thanks,

Dana
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thanks Dana,

The similator does get a bit complex in its workings, I never really designed its core to handle the complexity of what its currently
doing, so the logic can get a bit confuddled at times during movement and deletions.. I'll be looking deeper into it in the fall
when Gearotics development starts up again..

Thx
Art