Motion Works Example

BillM
Old Timer

Motion Works Example

Post by BillM »

Art

I thought I'd switch gears away from my escapement experiments. Attached is a zipped version of a motion works experiment.
The lower left gear has the drive motor set to 1200 Max RPM . My "minute" and "hour" hands are simply bars that I've used in other experiments. The gearing provides a 12:1 reduction between the minute hand and hour hand. The lower gear pair provides 3:1 reduction and the upper gear pair provides a 4:1 reduction.

It was a bit of a challenge have the minute and hour hands on concentric shafts. Gearotics provides a calculated shaft center distance. I miss the gearotics gear calculator where you can specify a shaft distance to come up with the Module necessary to build the upper pair of gears. The ability to move a shaft around a gear is also a handy feature for folks needing to reposition a gear after it's been placed.

Although the motor has a 1200 Max RPM, the drive gear rpm is ~120. The next gear in the train shows a ~40 rpm rate as does the upper gear on that same shaft. Curiously though the upper left gear shows ~40 rpm instead of ~10. The hour hand does show the expected ~10rpm.

I guess that processor load or time quantification is the reason for the difference between the Motor RPM and the measured rpm of the driven gear.

Bill
Attachments
MotionWorks.zip
Motion Works Experiment
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Motion Works Example

Post by ArtF »

Hi Bill:

Yes, as a velocity based simulation the quantization of time may be off a bit. The gears can also appear out of sync at times,
I have a line item to make that tighter later on. I am recoding the fusing routine as I had made a base assumption on
that that appears false. It will be working better soon.

Art