Suggested future option <ESC> to end a command.

BillM
Old Timer

Suggested future option <ESC> to end a command.

Post by BillM »

Art

I've found that sometimes it would be handy to use the <ESC> key to end an operation. For instance : translate on plane option, when I mess up with an inadvertent mouse click that sends the part I wanted to move to a weird place on the workbench. The only option is to click on the EXIT button, delete the part or start building the project again. If I hit <ESC> the User Interface loses control of the cursor.

Bill
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Suggested future option <ESC> to end a command.

Post by ArtF »

Bill:

I agree. I'll see what I can do to make it more obvious what step
its on as well..

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Bill:

V1.13B is uploading now. A press of the "esc" key will exit you from near anything. Let me know if you see situations
where that causes trouble. Also, the mouse disappearing is now fixed. It was a piece of troublesome code that I was searching for.

Exiting by esc will not send you back if you translate or anything, but often the Options/Undo will, though you may have to
press it more than once.

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Art:

I've loaded v1.13B and tested the "esc" key. I works properly.

I tested Asset import. The "esc" key works like the Cancel button and exits the function without loss of cursor control.

Testing the Translate-in-plane function, the "esc" key acts like the Exit button...the object is moved but that can be corrected using the Undo function from the main menu.

This version seems to load slower. A couple of times Windows 10 crashed with the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE error. This time I was only running Ticker and not Fusion 360.

Bill
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Bill:

Interesting. That error... VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE is one sent by the system if it has had to reset the display driver as it appears hung.
I must be doing something your display driver doesn't like. Does this only happen in simulation, or does it happen in normal model
mode? Im curious if its related to FPS. In Sim mode, the system will attempt to get 60FPS , in Model mode it only runs at 30FPS
to allow the system to respond better to GUI on other windows.

Art
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hmm, shouldn't have slowed the load, I only added the capability to use escape , so if the esc key isn't pressed
that code is skipped. Ill run a time analysis on a run to make sure I didnt loop something..

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Art

The VIDEO error may be something in my system. I normally run the system as a balance between performance and battery life. Battery saver is usually on. On Graphics Settings , I have both FUSION 360 and Ticker.exe set to use IRISx Max in high performance. How this setting interacts with the Battery saver setting is not certain. The battery saver implies it determines when the screen/computer goes to sleep.

I have not noticed the slow loading of Ticker recently. I ran the test you mentioned in your videos with the opening simulation. I paused the simulation until it got to 500+ objects and then played it. The frame rate was ~59+ frames per second. I noticed that the reported gravity value was varying during the pause time.

Bill
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Bill:

Yes, power settings can affect things strangely in GPU's. Hard to say whats up there.

The gravity varying is normal, in the opening sim, the gravity is varied up and down for effect so that everything doesn't simply drop.
I ran a code analysis on speed and it all seems OK so far. I think most could get up to 6ofps without too much trouble.

Still looking into why you gpu reports failure on the belt shader, but I'm not seeing anything yet. Over time perhaps more will report
similar problems.

Art