cams and spirals

Support for Cad program Vexx
Steve Truscott
Old Timer

cams and spirals

Post by Steve Truscott »

Hi Art,
I see Vexx has a golden spiral generator. I need an Archimedes Spiral for a cam in a project. Is that on the horizon?
While I am here I was looking at cam design in general with constant speed, constant acceleration et al. So far I have not found any information on generating them on the net. Could they be a subspecies of spirals?
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: cams and spirals

Post by ArtF »

Hi Steve:

I didn't add for that in the spirals, but will look at adding a selection for it
in that dialog.

Art
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

I realise this thread is over a year old now, but I have a similar requirement for a nice, smooth-moving cam for an electro-mechanical clock design I'm working on. The option to easily design a cam including a smooth increase/decrease of acceleration which I can then copy out to my CNC router for cutting would be brilliant. Quite how many derivatives of position (velocity, accelerarion, jerk, snap, crackle, pop) Art decides are enough to fire his imagination are not for me to decide  ;)

Kit
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Kit:

Ill give it some research. I've just had a large crash here and am still in the end
stages of rebuilding. Im almost there and have nothing committed to other than research
for a couple of months to determine what I feel like doing next. Cams and Worms are under
consideration.

Art