Brass Clock

For the makers of various third party clock designs..
mailman
Old Timer

Brass Clock

Post by mailman »

Check out the all brass clock that I made, its on youtube ,on my channel, "Dosdall Engine Co." or just "Handmade brass clock." While you are there you might like to also look at my video of the 1/2 size tractor that I made completely from scratch. Rich.
Mooselake
Old Timer

Re: Brass Clock

Post by Mooselake »

That's a nice looking clock, Rich!  Did you design any of it with Gearotic?  How did you cut those gears?

Kirk
mailman
Old Timer

Post by mailman »

The escape wheel, I cut out on my cnc mill using mach 3. I now have a Fellows gear shaper, but back when I started this I didn't, so they were all cut one tooth at a time with a wheel type cutter and the dividing head. I like to use the Gearotic program to easily get  o.d.'s and center distances. I have a hard time generating a g code in Gearotic, so I usually design a gear and import it to my cad/cam where I can easily get the g code. Just cut out some triangular gears out of starboard with a 1/16 end mill 1/2" thick--made three and didn't even break an endmill!!!!
steve323
Old Timer

Post by steve323 »

Very nice looking clock.  I like the escapement.  And those solid brass end plates must have cost a few coins.

Steve
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Very Nice!. Man, thats a lot O' brass...

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

mailman wrote:Fellows gear shaper ... I have a hard time generating a g code in Gearotic
I'm jealous :) .  While I don't have any realistic need for a gear shaper I'd still like one to play around with.  What model Fellows shaper do you have?  Got any pictures or video?

I did manage to make my first chips on the 1950 Delta metal shaper a couple days ago, at least, starting with squaring up an around 1x2x3" chunk of steel.  A long way from gear shaping.  No original dividing head with it, but hoping one of the imports is in my future.

Art or somebody here might be able to help you with fixing g code generation

Kirk
mailman
Old Timer

Post by mailman »

I have a Fellows model 61A with a 10" riser, here a pic of it
Attachments
100_1640.JPG
John T
Old Timer

Post by John T »

I enjoyed watching your video.  Your clock has such a strong sense of the pragmatic - its hard not to like it. 
Thanks for sharing.
John
1% inspiration 99% try, try again
mailman
Old Timer

Post by mailman »

THANKS John!!
    Rich