Simulation of "walking man"

A Spot for User Mechs and Kinematic discussions
BillM
Old Timer

Simulation of "walking man"

Post by BillM »

Art

This post is a continuation of my experimenting with Gearotics, Vexx, and the Augie Vector Processor.

I rewatched your videos on Vexx and found the Vexx Tutorial #1 really informative.  Instead of simply watching the Vexx tutorial I followed your instructions and recreated the iris in the video.  This was a great way to learn more of the controls available in Vexx.

I also re-studied your videos on the Kinematics features of the Vector Processor.  As I continued to experiment with the vector processor I learn more about the "collision control" feature of the processor.  This feature, along with decimation, and your mention of convex hull helped alot in the creation of my attached simulation of a "walking man"

My supporting mech files did preserve linkages, motors, and pivots after I discovered my mistake from my last post.  I had to create the mech file when the simulation toggle was "on."   This time though it appears that the import of the mech file did not preserve the "Max force" value.  I used a high value such as 8888 to move the model but the value when pasted was simply 8.

I noticed another item that may be a limitation of the Vector Processor:  With simulation off & the entire walking man structure selected when I drag the structure to a different location the pivots and linkages do not move along with the structure and have to be redone.

My solution to this issue was to create a mech file of the structure, delete the original structure and then import/paste the mech file to the desired location.

Attached are:

WalkingMan-Mobile-V2.vcp   The simulation.

Supporting files:
       StaticFloor.mech       Files to support creation of the
       WalkingManMobile.mech   above simulation..

WalkingManTemplate.vexx  Used to create a dxf to load
                               into the vector processor.

Hopefully the mechs, .vcp, and .vexx files will work correctly when downloaded.

Bill Michael

Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Simulation of "walking man"

Post by ArtF »

Bill:

Awesome job, the walking man runs fine here. Youve done amazingly well with a module
that was really written as an experiment. I didnt think it was stable enough for any real
work other than playing about a bit and experimenting.
  thanks for these examples, they give me pause ot think about previous code and how Vexx may be
able to absorb it..

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Re: Simulation of "walking man"

Post by BillM »

Art

I really enjoy studying new subjects.  Your software has plenty of features that will keep me busy for years.

My ultimate goal is to build a simple clock using a simulated escapement.  I've already posted the motion works w/hands.  The wild idea to get them moving was a precursor to the walking man.

By the way the inspiration for the walking man is the 60's toy Mr Machine.  I never had such a toy but old videos of one intrigued me enough to research the toy further to find out how it worked.  I downloaded the patent for it and figured out a  way to simulate a simplified version.  The sliding linkage on the leg and controlling collisions between parts took a while to figure out.

The simulated leg's sliding linkage in itself is a useful component of interesting machines such as a drive train for a locomotive.

I'll continue experimenting / learning Vexx and the vector processor.

Bill