Kinematic Seahawk Pursuit Horizontal Motion

A Spot for User Mechs and Kinematic discussions
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Kinematic Seahawk Pursuit Horizontal Motion

Post by Dan Mauch »

I added horizontal motion to this piece to add an additional feature. See https://youtu.be/9zn43U-GueY  . I also added the octogonal base.  One night I was having a hard time falling asleep so i thought about  how I would modify the existing base to make it look more complex that a plain box. My wife was asleep so I asked her if a 7" across the flats was a good size for the octogonal enclosure and she grunted "unnnnn  uaennnn". So I entered that in to my cell phone's Google Translator and it came back that that sound was a ancient Phoenician dialect and was the  word for "good". So the next day I proceeded to design and laser cut the pieces. Cutting the 22.5 degree angle was no problem but getting each side piece exactly the same length was a chore until I figured out a better way of mounting each side in my laser fixture. Similarly, I needed a precise way of aligning each side to the adjacent side and to the base and top. I made a gluing fixture that solved that problem.
  Then I wanted to focus on building the mechanism for the horizontal  limited motion. I was trying to decide how much motion it should have. That night I again had problems falling asleep so I was visualizing about what range of motion would work where I planned to locate this piece. I came up with 30 degrees. So again my wife was asleep so I asked her if she thought 30 degrees would be ok for where I planned to mount this piece. She muttered  "hann umm" . Again Google Translate say that that is hungarian word  for "perfect". So i spent quite a bit of time figuring out various linkage that would limit the motion to 30 degrees. I also wanted to add an unconstant variable motion so that the motion wasn't so mechanical. It works pretty well. I will tinker a little bit more the horizontal motion. 
While figuring out how to cut the side pieces for the octogon box I  had a brain storm for a future project for my laser cutter. I didn't hurt myself but took two aspirin anyway.
I should have something to show in a few days.
Dan Mauch
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Kinematic Seahawk Pursuit Horizontal Motion

Post by BobL »

Dan;

Nicely done and thanks for sharing with all of us here at Gearotic. Your Seahawk Pursuit with horizontal motion looks very cool to me and appears to work well too, so my congratz to you.

Cheers
Bob
8)
Gearotic Motion
Bob