Seattle Seahawk Trireme Kinetic Art Piece

A Spot for User Mechs and Kinematic discussions
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Seattle Seahawk Trireme Kinetic Art Piece

Post by Dan Mauch »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffMhHJS ... e=youtu.be
I was inspired by Bob Potts kinetic you tube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPpsqOZSXdU  and Cognitionshop netfabb animation of a similar piece. Both pieces used a worm drive. I decided that first of all I was going to wall mount my version ergo I would only need half the oars and I would use a pinion and bull gear laser cut using Gearotic 3's awesome features. In fact almost all the parts were laser cut. I decided on using a 6RPM 12V battery powered motor.  I made several different changes of which the most important was using the side view of a a Greek Trireme.  For those of you that didn't take ancient history in high school the Greeks destroyed the Phoenician fleet with the help of the Trireme. What made the Trireme so effective was the brass ramming head on the bow of the vessel and the three rows of 25 oarsmen.  Most ships at that time used pins between planks to hold them together. Any ramming would shear the pins and sink then enemy's ships. Additionally, the Trireme has a image of a fearsome face on the front of the bow to inflict terror on the sailors of enemy ships.So since I am a rabid Seattle Seahawk fan I thought their logo would be a fitting addition. The motion is pretty good considering it's all wood. I have a few minor details to address but otherwise i am pleased with it. 

Dan Mauch
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Seattle Seahawk Trireme Kinetic Art Piece

Post by BobL »

Thanks for sharing Dan,  awesome as usual. Perhaps you can install another fireplace at the opposite ends of your room, would double up your real estate anyway to add more toys..  lol

Congratz

Cheers
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Post by Dan Mauch »

We have a split level home. so there is a fireplace in our living room and another one down in my office/assembly area.  But thinking ahead I wanted to fill the one upstairs first!  ;)

Thanks
Dan Mauch
BobL wrote: Thanks for sharing Dan,  awesome as usual. Perhaps you can install another fireplace at the opposite ends of your room, would double up your real estate anyway to add more toys..  lol

Congratz

Cheers
Bob
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Bob:

Great job, the wall is great. My wife donated me a portion of a wall, so
I can rotate in what I like, but yours is more generous than mine, I get only
a corner.