Laser Cut Finger Joint Box

Useful information on experiences with Lasers
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Laser Cut Finger Joint Box

Post by Dan Mauch »

A friend of mine and his wife come  over about once a month to play cards. His wife was in the kitchen when he asked me if I could build him a box for his wife's sewing machine. He is a firmware guy and can't do such things as that. I said sure and decided to make a finger jointed box. I found on line a great site http://www.makercase.com/ for making various forms of box joints ie flat, finger T slot. I chose a finger joint. You just enter either the inside or outside dimensions, the thickness of the material and then click on Generate lasrer Cutter Case Plans. Then a new sceeen pop up. Then you can slect the margins, vector cutting, Text engraving and laser cutting kerf dimension. The box came out great. The only problem with the software is that it lays out all the pieces together which would have been greater that the size of my laser cutting bed. So I converted their svg file to a dxf file and then loaded it into my cad program and isolated each piece and cut them seperately. Otherwise it came out great
Attachments
llsewingbox.JPG
tweakie
Old Timer

Re: Laser Cut Finger Joint Box

Post by tweakie »

Nice work Dan.

Tweakie.
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

inspiration.
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Thanks for sharing web site Dan, always appreciated. These finger joints by the way look very similar to how boxing works in Gearotic,  which I have use in various projects also, a very slick way to build a box..

Cheers
Bob
;)
Gearotic Motion
Bob