Building a multipurpose machine what do I need to control it?

Any questions related to machine operation
TOTALLYRC
Old Timer

Building a multipurpose machine what do I need to control it?

Post by TOTALLYRC »

Hi Guys,
I have been going through the parts pile and have found that I have enough stuff to build a machine to do those fun projects without tying up the big iron.

I would like to be able to route PCB's, Do some small 4th axis work, switch to a 3D print head, and then add a laser in future.
I am sure as this progresses the goals will change but thats my story and I am sticking to it!

With all that being said I am starting with a purchase of the Pokeys CNC57E and was wondering what else I need to go with it.
This looks like a needed accessory. https://www.poscope.com/product/cablepack-pokeys57cnc/
Anything else that I need to implement the CNC57E?

I will also be buying Gearotic/Auggie to use alongside Mach4.

Anything other suggestions would be appreciated. Pictures to follow as building progresses.
TOTALLYRC
Old Timer

Re: Building a multipurpose machine what do I need to control it?

Post by TOTALLYRC »

Since work shut down due to the BLIZZARD conditions here in CT yesterday, I had some extra time on my hands.
I spent some of my Christmas money on A Pokeys 57CNC and the cable pack. To help keep Art warm this winter I also bought Gearotic. I then brought the base of the machine in the house so measurements could be taken to get the first ball screw installed. More to follow.

Mike

P.S. if this is the wrong place for a build log let me know and we can move it or start over.
tweakie
Old Timer

Post by tweakie »

Hi Mike,

I am looking forward to following your progress and build log.

You won't be disappointed with Gearotic, it is just brilliant.

As you have the 57CNC then for Laser and basic CNC operation check out Auggie. If you have not experienced the 'S Curve' Acceleration / Deceleration of the Tempest planner before you have something to look forward to.

The 57CNC needs a minor config. change to swap back and forward between Mach4 and Auggie but it is simple enough to do.

Tweakie
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Hi Mike;

Please keep us inform of your progress, we always enjoy reading some of our users efforts and successes with projects. As Tweakie mentioned,  Auggie continues to work well fort us as our laser control platform using the 57CNC board,  we continue to explore for new things or better ways on existing things. Anyhow,  we also got hit with the same storm front as you, so I assume Art remains without power and in the dark for a little while longer.

Cheers
Bob
;)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
TOTALLYRC
Old Timer

Post by TOTALLYRC »

BobL wrote: Hi Mike;

Please keep us inform of your progress, we always enjoy reading some of our users efforts and successes with projects. As Tweakie mentioned,  Auggie continues to work well fort us as our laser control platform using the 57CNC board,  we continue to explore for new things or better ways on existing things. Anyhow,  we also got hit with the same storm front as you, so I assume Art remains without power and in the dark for a little while longer.

Cheers
Bob
;)
Hi Bob,
I highly doubt that with you and Art around that there would be any darkness for long!  Maybe Art can put some of the money I just spent towards a generator. LOL

I will be exploring the Machining side of Auggie until I get all the parts for a Laser.

TOTALLYRC
Old Timer

Post by TOTALLYRC »

tweakie wrote: Hi Mike,

I am looking forward to following your progress and build log.

You won't be disappointed with Gearotic, it is just brilliant.

As you have the 57CNC then for Laser and basic CNC operation check out Auggie. If you have not experienced the 'S Curve' Acceleration / Deceleration of the Tempest planner before you have something to look forward to.

The 57CNC needs a minor config. change to swap back and forward between Mach4 and Auggie but it is simple enough to do.

Tweakie
I have watched a lot of Art's videos and Auggie looks like the Bomb! I am really looking forward to making some pulleys for my machines to increase their capabilities.

I have run Tempest under Mach3 and really enjoyed the S-curve acceleration.

When it comes to using the laser I can only hope that someday I will be as good as you!
TOTALLYRC
Old Timer

Post by TOTALLYRC »

I am starting to shop for the Laser side of things. Other than a CO2 tube and matching power supply, is there anything else I need to make it fire?

I will of course need a coolant pump and sensors and all that I just want to start with the main Laser parts.

I understand that the RECI tubes have a good reputation, any others I should look for or look out for? I prefer quality over the lowest price(cheap).

Mike.

P.S. Still waiting on my 57CNC to arrive!!!!!!!!
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Mike:

Sounds like your heading onto a journey. :)

Just the tube and power supply will get you running, but of course you
need mirrors and focus output as well. There isnt much you cant do with a pokeys 57, so
its a great start,

When in doubt, yell, we're always around..

Art
TOTALLYRC
Old Timer

Post by TOTALLYRC »

Hi Art,
I am on a journey of discovery and of hair loss! ;D

I received my 57CNC today and while I am not thrilled at how it was shipped in a bubble wrap envelope  ::)  I have contacted the seller to see if I should test it or return it. Still waiting on the connectors so I can get going with the wiring.

I took a look through the manual for the Pokeys board and I am fairly impressed at how well it is written. Only time will tell if I can actually make it work by reading the manual.

Back to making stuff work.

Mike
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Mike:

When it comes to Doc's its top in class. When it comes to hairloss,
I have few left..

I think youll like it, the Pokeys really is a very capable unit..

Art
TOTALLYRC
Old Timer

Post by TOTALLYRC »

I have the Pokeys talking to Auggie on my laptop!!!!!!!! ;D

Next up is to try it on some other computers including the nice one I am going to actually run the machine with.

Mike.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Awesome!, good start. :)

Art
TOTALLYRC
Old Timer

Post by TOTALLYRC »

Todays question;
What king of axis speed should I be shooting for?
I am thinking that 300 IPM should be more than fast enough but I would like the skinny from the experienced laser users.

Mike
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Mike:

On my fastest settings for photos and such I use up to 600IPM or 15000mm/m.
Typically, I dont use full speed, but there are times I use the full 15000. This is with a
14 watt synrad co2. WIth a 40watt Id probably use the higher end more often.
  This of course will vary from machine to machine, mines a pretty heavy robotic arm.

Jerk settings will help usually. Just in case youve never watched this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7lWyoAfU9I

It shows the jerk settings on my 14watt laser, and gives an idea about speed.

Art

TOTALLYRC
Old Timer

Post by TOTALLYRC »

Only the last two settings got anywhere near the 1180 ipm.
I will shoot for as fast as I can go without resorting to anything silly.

Mike