Confidence - suggestions, please

Drop zone for Webcam data
DanL
Old Timer

Re: Confidence - suggestions, please

Post by DanL »

if you have background lighting that can make the images not come out very well with a very low confidence, your one is the next up from mine I get between 50 to 80 confidence depending on the color of the background white was low, black was in the middle, mdf was at the high end.

I have mine in a box with a screen behind the camera on arts new version it was far to good having a set up in a box, the pictures were coming out picture perfect with a depth of 3 m
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

BMeyers;

I'm not sure how you improve the confidence from 4 to 80's other than darken the room and brighten the monitor flash. We used a white background in our test with a 25in monitor, if I remember correctly we got in the 60-80 first try. Is the brightness turn all the way up on your monitor?

Cheers
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

Bob,

You mention "monitor flash".  If that means a flash from the web-cam, I do not notice any flash from the web-cam during "fire".  That would also explain what I observed in the jpgs attached to another string under this topic (the light on the object appeared to be coming from a different direction between the shots).  I don't see mention of "flash" in my web-cam user manual; and do not know how to get it to do that even if it is capable.  If the camera is supposed to flash, that would explain why the 4 photos don't yield the information needed to make a good rendition.

If "monitor flash" refers to another device, please explain.

Regards,

Brian.
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Brian;

The monitor is your flash, the closer you are to it the higher your confidence number will be. No web camera flash is necessary.

Cheers
Bob
:)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

Ah.  So it is the alternating black/white image on the monitor, if facing the object, provides the slightly differently angled lighting which enables the program to approximate depth.  Hmmm. the monitor was certainly facing me when I previously attempted some portraits - with low confidence results.  I will try the process at night (otherwise the sun will make the room bright) to allow the monitor to provide the light, once I replace the web-cam I returned earlier today.

Thanks.
DanL
Old Timer

Post by DanL »

Brian your webcam will be more than good enough it`s better than my one, you just need a dark background as in no light or just a little bit. stick a blanket over yourself and the screen, that will do the trick go old school
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

BMeyers;

That's right, a dark room, capture image as close to your monitor as possible when taking the shot and if you can have a white or black background that really makes things better.

Cheers
Bob
:)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
BMeyers
Old Timer

Post by BMeyers »

DanL and Bob,

Thanks for the pointers.  Might be awhile, but I will give it a go.

Regards,

Brian.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Yes, results really require a dark room and a monitor bright enough to make a difference. Turn your monitor brightness up full
for the shots if you can.. it can really help. Many never notice how dark their monitor is after a few years, I just replaced both my primary
monitors this year and they near blinded me ..my old ones were much worse than I thought. I use a widescreen, so I dont need to adjust anything, the photos work out great usually.

Art