Reciprocating Arms

Files, photos and discusions on Tickers and kinetic devices.
Mooselake
Old Timer

Re: Reciprocating Arms

Post by Mooselake »

I had a few hours of wood lathe (and other shop) classes in Jr. high, token shop class for the academic track, but nothing in the <mumble> years since.&nbsp; Got a little HF VS mini wood lathe a few years ago (actually pretty nice for small stuff), tried some pen turning, started going to the adult open shop to learn something about turning, then somehow ended up with a 16x42 Grizzly rebuild project off Craigslist.&nbsp; My youngest decided she liked turning bottle stoppers while at home, so she's getting the HF and I replaced it with the PSI, both lathes are now 1-8 thread and MT2.&nbsp; Had to move fast before Mrs. Moose figured out what's going on :)

Went to Utah for a turning class where they spent a lot of time on sharpening.&nbsp; Picked up a CBN wheel that somebody had returned off the discount table (along with an expensive pile of HSS...); it's on the right side below.&nbsp; The stand (finally, last coat of finish today, no more bare wood!) has the grinder almost at eye level (wheel center at shoulder height) - thought that was a pretty strange suggestion from the teacher, but it works really well.&nbsp; They get seriously discounted hardwood from a big local mill, so it's made of black ash (Greg's suggestion for dimensional stability).&nbsp; Strange, but nice, when nice kiln dried hardwood is cheaper than lumber yard pine.&nbsp; The sharpening system is a wolverine copy from PSI - works just as well as the real thing at the HS, but not as nicely finished.&nbsp; Seriously sharp tools!

As you can see in the background the shop (former wood boiler room, went to an outdoor boiler) is both a work in progress and short on organization.&nbsp; I think I've strayed way OT.

Kirk
Attachments
Tool Grinder Stand.jpg
kit
Old Timer

Re: Reciprocating Arms

Post by kit »

I think Mark's shop is bigger than my entire house ;D

Kit
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator