Reciprocating Arms

Files, photos and discusions on Tickers and kinetic devices.
marklazarz
Old Timer

Re: Reciprocating Arms

Post by marklazarz »

More shop photos (3 of 3).

Attachments
IMG_5287.JPG
IMG_5286.JPG
IMG_5284.JPG
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

I need more room and a bigger allowance :)

I looked at (online...) the tabletop Delta midi-lathe, but went with the 12" VS PSI since I've used one in the adult shop at the high school - if it holds up to HS students it should work for me.  Had it about a week now, even made a couple things that didn't go into the woodstove.

We have the same metal cutting bandsaw, but mine is red and had a 20% off coupon.  I'd like the Simpson metal rack, better than leaning it in corners against the wall...

Still impressed, and it's way neater than mine.  Gotta get out the broom and shop vac, not to mention another sort and put away session, longer than the last one.  Your pics are an inspiration!

Kirk

Attachments
PSI Lathe.jpg
marklazarz
Old Timer

Post by marklazarz »

That Simpson rack was on sale at a building center that closed.  I think I paid $10.00 for it loaded with all kinds of metal shapes and threaded rod.  You will also notice lots of General brand equipment, I believe it is all made in Canada - very happy with the quality.

I never touched a wood lathe in high school.  Purchased this one at a local hardware store for no other reason than I thought it would be fun.  I spent the first year discovering that wood turning begins at the grinder, not the lathe.  Once I got over the fear of killing myself, it's great fun and easy to make something in a couple of hours.  It really comes in handy for making things like wooden clocks, kinetic sculptures and incidentals associated with Gearotic parts.  Shavings are used in my gas grill to flavor meat.

Whenever someone posts photos of their projects, I always look at the shop behind the scene.  Must be a guy thing.

Mark
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

I had a few hours of wood lathe (and other shop) classes in Jr. high, token shop class for the academic track, but nothing in the <mumble> years since.&nbsp; Got a little HF VS mini wood lathe a few years ago (actually pretty nice for small stuff), tried some pen turning, started going to the adult open shop to learn something about turning, then somehow ended up with a 16x42 Grizzly rebuild project off Craigslist.&nbsp; My youngest decided she liked turning bottle stoppers while at home, so she's getting the HF and I replaced it with the PSI, both lathes are now 1-8 thread and MT2.&nbsp; Had to move fast before Mrs. Moose figured out what's going on :)

Went to Utah for a turning class where they spent a lot of time on sharpening.&nbsp; Picked up a CBN wheel that somebody had returned off the discount table (along with an expensive pile of HSS...); it's on the right side below.&nbsp; The stand (finally, last coat of finish today, no more bare wood!) has the grinder almost at eye level (wheel center at shoulder height) - thought that was a pretty strange suggestion from the teacher, but it works really well.&nbsp; They get seriously discounted hardwood from a big local mill, so it's made of black ash (Greg's suggestion for dimensional stability).&nbsp; Strange, but nice, when nice kiln dried hardwood is cheaper than lumber yard pine.&nbsp; The sharpening system is a wolverine copy from PSI - works just as well as the real thing at the HS, but not as nicely finished.&nbsp; Seriously sharp tools!

As you can see in the background the shop (former wood boiler room, went to an outdoor boiler) is both a work in progress and short on organization.&nbsp; I think I've strayed way OT.

Kirk
Attachments
Tool Grinder Stand.jpg
kit
Old Timer

Post by kit »

I think Mark's shop is bigger than my entire house ;D

Kit
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator