Kinetic sculpture designed by Clayton Boyer

Files, photos and discusions on Tickers and kinetic devices.
Aviv
Old Timer

Re: Kinetic sculpture designed by Clayton Boyer

Post by Aviv »

Kineticrazy wrote: Dan,
  I noticed the bearing in the video was still shielded. It was suggested in another thread to remove the shields, soak and clean the bearings with mineral spirits and then soak and lubricate them with silicone. Do you go through the same process?

I was wondering if anyone has tried thrust bearings. I happened upon them when poking around the internet...here's an example..

https://www.amazon.com/51100-Thrust-Bearing-10x24x9-Bearings/dp/B002BBJSDG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks,

Eric
For kinetic sculptures, that are not experiencing high loads (I think?), would it be valuable to wash the bearings in mineral spirits, to remove the lubrication in order to reduce friction, without lubricating back?
I know the lubrication is there for a reason, but it also adds friction, and maybe for the weights involved in kinetic sculptures this isn?t an issue?
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

I'd agree with that, so long as it isn't wobbly.. the least resistance as possible is
desirable..
steve323
Old Timer

Post by steve323 »

I have been testing various bearing configurations for pendulum supports. It is not exactly the same setup as a kinetic sculpture, but I believe some of the same principles apply. Less friction is better.

The load is around 8 ounces. I measure the time that it takes for the swing to degrade from +/-8 degrees to +/-1 degree.

Here are the swing times of various 623 (3x10x4mm) ball bearing configurations:
    5m 50s  sealed with factory grease intact
    7m 40s  shielded with factory grease intact
  14m 00s  shields removed and cleaned - low end of range
  20m 50s  shields removed and cleaned - high end of range
  24m 30s  shields removed and cleaned with Teflon dry lube added

The bearings were generic eBay versions costing around $5 for 10 bearings. 3 of the 10 were slightly tighter than the others. The remaining 7 would probably all last around 20 minutes or better.

My clock with ball bearings for the pendulum support has been running non-stop for two years with no signs of wear. Running then dry seems OK when the load is significantly lower than the rated max loads.

Steve
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

>>24m 30s  shields removed and cleaned with Teflon dry lube added

Good god, thats way better than I figured on top of head. Thats a long time to degrade ..

Art
steve323
Old Timer

Post by steve323 »

ArtF wrote: >>24m 30s  shields removed and cleaned with Teflon dry lube added

Good god, thats way better than I figured on top of head. Thats a long time to degrade ..

Art
It was much longer than I expected as well, especially since they were random no-name bearings.

A pendulum degrading in 24 minutes only needs 1/3 as much restoring force as an 8 minute pendulum. I hope to post a video soon showing the complete results.

Steve
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Steve:

Its all good to know. In future I know the way Ill go.. :)

Art
deraudrl
Old Timer

Post by deraudrl »

FWIW, I tried a couple with mineral spirits: the problem is they seemed to gum up a week or so later...some kind of residue attracting cruft in my garage. (The stuff they sell here in SoCal doesn't look/smell like the stuff I remember from my youth.)

"Gunk" engine cleaner worked a lot better, except for the hassle of getting it out of the aerosol can so I could really soak the bearings.
deraudrl
Old Timer

Post by deraudrl »

Finally completed my laser-cut acrylic take on 'Zinnia' after letting the plans and parts sit for almost five years...
Did some re-engineering, mostly to get all the parts to fit the 12"x16" limits of my laser. Wheels are 20", which is about as big as I can segment one up without a ton of waste.
Short video of it in operation here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgyz2qq84whfc ... 9.mp4?dl=0
20210716_124831.jpg
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Excellent. Nice pattern.

Art
XRumerTest
Old Timer

Test, just a test

Post by XRumerTest »