Bits from Bytes (BFB) 3D Printer firmware update

A discussion and development of a 3d printer is located here.
Dan Mauch
Old Timer

Bits from Bytes (BFB) 3D Printer firmware update

Post by Dan Mauch »

I bought the subject printer back in 2011. It works fine except recently when I use Axon to convert a stl file to 3d gcode I been getting checksum error when loading it into the machine. I thought the problem was with the USB stick but made an image of it on another usb stick and it was the same. I then thought it was the pc so I installed Axon on another PC and also got the checksum errors when loading on the machine. BFB was bought out by 3D systems but they don't provide any support. I also tried the education group where I purchased the machine but they could not give me any help. The USB stick has  two files for updating the firmware. One is called setup.exe and the other is a hex file. I theorized that I need to connect my a pc to the 3d printer using a usb cable. I also in the 3d printer cursored over to the window for UPDATE but On the PC  I get the device not connected error. Any suggestions would be appreciate so that I can installed updated firmware.
Mooselake
Old Timer

Re: Bits from Bytes (BFB) 3D Printer firmware update

Post by Mooselake »

What happens if you use Prusa Slicer to generate the gcode?  I found some comments saying it will take gcode from other slicers, which have changed a lot in the last 10 years.

I'd consider abandoning the old controller if a different slicer doesn't work, might be more than bit rot.  RAMPS controllers are pretty cheap, but I'd consider going to an SKR E3 mini if you think it would fit.  Otherwise Ender 3 Pros are a couple hundred bucks and likely a much better printer, it's V2 is on preorder or something like that and the original will probably start dropping in price if it hasn't already.

Kirk