Gear for Buildlog 2.0 laser cutter rotary axis

A discussion and development of a 3d printer is located here.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gear for Buildlog 2.0 laser cutter rotary axis

Post by ArtF »

Hi :

HEre's a gearotic one printed on an UP! printer..

Art
Attachments
20150302_084643.jpg
Zebethyal
Old Timer

Post by Zebethyal »

Looks very nice :) is that also GT2-2 profile?

Please don't get me wrong, I am not in any way trying to knock Gearotic, I am still learning to use it and aim to use it to design some clocks and kinetic sculptures, but I have not as yet seen any options for belt retainers, hubs or retaining screws, maybe I am simply not looking hard enough.

Whilst I can add all of these in some other program like Sketchup/Rhino, etc - as I did for the first gear I posted, where I could just as easily have generated the tooth profile in Gearotic (had I had a license at the time) and then added all the other parts after the fact, which in this case I had to do anyway.

For this gear I simply wanted to cut out a few extra steps and tools in the workflow, the whole gear took about 60 seconds from initial requirement to generating the final STL file ready for printing.

That being said, the script has a very limited number of tooth profiles and can only generate one gear at a time - it is intended for generating gears for use in belt drive systems and has limited use beyond that - Gearotic is way more powerful in nearly every aspect, not least in its list of supported gear and movement types.

I am currently designing an automatic tool changer for my Mini Mill and am making use of an 8 position Geneva mechanism that will be created by Gearotic, the current one I have in the Sketchup model was drawn from first principles using a spreadsheet to do all of the calculations.

I actually created it in Gearotic, it took seconds, but then I couldn't save it as my demo had expired, this is obviously not an issue any more.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

I believe it is a gt2..but its been awhile since I printed it so I cant swear to it..

I dont usually add the hubs and such, but you can add a set screw hub for 3d printing,
though you have to drill it yourself afterwards. ( I figured printing the hole just makes it weaker..)

On the project screen, select a gear or pulley. Youll see two edit boxes on the lower properties window
labeled collar width and radius. Set them appropriately and hit respoke..

You should get a collar like this gear shows..

Art
Attachments
collar.png
Zebethyal
Old Timer

Post by Zebethyal »

Thanks - that helps a lot.