Guilloche!

Post your results here. Share with the world.
Hessel Oosten
Old Timer

Re: Guilloche!

Post by Hessel Oosten »

Kirk,

I'm totally -not- ahead of you !

This was the simple way of drawing a DXF and NOT a simulator !!!

I followed Roger Smith's pattern, with the polylines (PEDIT) the old straight zag-zag-line this machine also makes.
So many lines are double by this "copied" method (see video Roger Smith), which gives a longer millng time.
In fact if there is zero backlash this will be the same as a pattern without these double lines....
If that (zero backlash) is the case, it's a loss of energy.
If the machine is not quite optimal..., milling a long way from one side to the other side (without too much interuptions in Z axis and X/Y direction) could be better (I think...).

Attached the DXF.

Hessel
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Hessel Oosten on Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

I'm trying to stay faithful to the old machines, at least by generating (plan to eventually read from a file, too) triangle and sine pattern bar equivalents, and then shifting the resulting patterns horizontally and vertically like the machine does.  Might add a bit of randomness to look a bit like handmade. Simulation might be an exaggeration since I'm just creating the pattern and putting copies of it into the workspace, rather than actually tracing along it.  The difference is subtle, the actual machine uses a rubber moving against the pattern and the result is affected by the geometry of the point, my version could be considered to have an infinitely sharp rubber.  The programming language I'm using (Processing) works in pixels, not sure how that carries over into the written svg files since a pixel is just over a quarter of a mm in their model.  Still have to figure out how to do image masking/clipping to, although I might punt and try it in Inkscape for now.  Couldn't figure out how to do it with Vexx or Carbide Create, might have something to do with multiple open paths clipped by a closed shape.

If I keep going I might have to either dredge up my ancient copy of visual c++, or see if vc express is good enough to do what I want, or maybe NetBeans after seeing Bill Oombs rose engine simulator.  Haven't found how to do either a pulldown list or spreadsheet emulator in Processing to allow specifying each line of a pattern, so I'm just inserting the appropriate description and recompiling.  Been a while since I've rubbed any programming neurons together, they've gotten a little gummed up.  Wonder if they make a version of WD40 for that?

I found a copy of Alan Battersby's geometric chuck simulator on GitHub for a future project, avoiding the need to work out the math for a 7 gear train that moves in mysterious (at least to me now) ways that I haven't found a description of.  In the old days they'd sometimes stack 2 or more chucks.  Not sure I'm up to rotating frames of reference for stacked chucks, perhaps polar coordinates with the appropriate shift?

If I can get this all done maybe we can talk Art into cleaning it up and putting it into a Vexx wizard or two :)

Next knee surgery back on for Wednesday, two days from now, pending another doctor clearance.  Might delay the programming effort a while.

Kirk
Last edited by Mooselake on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hessel Oosten
Old Timer

Post by Hessel Oosten »

Much success with your knee !

Hopefully straightening -and- turning the knee... ;) will follow soon !

H.
Hessel Oosten
Old Timer

Post by Hessel Oosten »

Inspired lately by the guilloch? messages from Mooslake (Kirk) I did a few other trials.

If I did saw well this week, Kirk posted a message in another subforum here, so I hope there is some form of recovery from the latest medical procedure.
In that case.... it's time for a few pictures.

First the "basket weave pattern", well known.

But in a video here above we saw that master engraver/horologist Joshua Shapiro, made a variant on the basket weave:

Some baskets .. are left empty in first instance, but later.. filled with an even smaller basket weave pattern.
So a basket weave within a basket weave.

Time for some amateuristic imitations....:-).

In the second photo the circle (about 30 mm) is only rotated a few times, to show in all three the same object, but only with that rotation
(to show different looking patterns, ONLY due to the position of the light).

Hessel
Attachments
shapiro views.jpg
P1280199.JPG
Last edited by Hessel Oosten on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Nice!

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Those look impressive!  I'd better get back to work :)

Hopefully I'm done with knee milling exercises, the biopsy went well and the bugs have moved out, and the final revision knee was installed three weeks ago in a 4 hour surgery.  Didn't watch, although they did let me get to the OR before giving me the amnesia juice.  23cm incision so it grew about 75mm/3" over the previous one, they like to keep using the same spot (has to do with preserving blood vessels) so only one scar despite 5 visits inside.  This recovery is my best so far

While I still can't sit in the desk chair long enough to do anything useful I'm looking forward to getting back to the router and programming project.  I'm not sure the inexpensive dinky router, or my rusty programming skills, are up to the quality of Hessel's work.
tweakie
Old Timer

Post by tweakie »

Wishing you a speedy recovery Kirk.

Tweakie.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

My knee hurts just thinking of it.. get well soon...

Art
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BobL »

Get well soon Kirk.

Cheers
Bob
;)
Gearotic Motion
Bob
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Thanks to all of you!  The last 6+ months have been rough at times, although lots of other people have been through lots worse.

I try to think of it as a interesting experience, lots of high technology, exotic (non-recreational) pharmaceuticals, and advanced medical techniques that are very interesting to watch and read about.  The engineer and medic coming out, I guess.  A one in a million type of infection, not the everyday 1 in 100 (per joint replacement) type.  I admit it would be just as interesting to watch it in somebody else :) , without all the discomfort and physical therapy.  Although maybe I'd still be distracted by all the work that somehow decided to show up as I eased into retirement rather than getting back to the important stuff like CNC and gear making.  Anybody know of a good deal on a smaller fellows gear shaper?

As an incentive to get back in the desk chair, plus an inability to resist the black friday sales, an Ender 3 Pro 3D printer will arrive today and be taking up residence next to the 3018 router.  Not an i3 Mk3, alas, but fits the available space better.  Time to see if I can 3D print a club foot escapement, making it actually tick could be another show.  Then there's the getting back to the guilloche software project, need to decide if it's time to move on to Visual C++ or keep fiddling with Processing.  All this image stuff, graphics, math, clipping (how do I fit a round pattern in a square hole?), etc is outside my embedded system/OS/realtime comfort zone

Kirk
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

ArtF wrote: My knee hurts just thinking of it..
Well, 90% of people wish they would have had their knee replacements sooner :)  I wish I could have held out until the 3D printed cartilage got out of the lab and past it's perpetual 10 years from being usable stage.  Might arrive about the same time practical fusion power does.

I suggest an ice pack, a good TV show,  and maybe some adult beverages

Kirk
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Resurrecting this topic a previously owned MDF V1.0 Rose Engine has arrived at the southern Mooselake Manor! It still needs an X-Y table (they recommend one from the Little Machine Shop), a cutting frame motor (Penn State's 3/4hp variable speed mini-lathe conversion), a paper chuck (think notepad on a 1-8 lathe faceplate, I plan a steel plate for magnets instead of taping) some belting, and undoubtedly miscellaneous bits and bobs. It was converted from a hand crank to a NEMA 23 stepper. Somewhat disassembled for travel, the reassembly time went into dealing with hurricane Ian yard cleanup instead
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Rose Engines are cool... Let me see a pic or two when you get there..

Art
Mooselake
Old Timer

Post by Mooselake »

Will do, need to order the missing parts instead of working on new muscle aches :) . This one was used for some youtube videos a few years back. The control system is different now, a single stepper and rotary knob instead of the multi-stepper control in the videos but the base machine is the same.

Kirk
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thats nicer than I expected. Well made.

Art