Basic set-up for gear train

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
DougE
Old Timer

Basic set-up for gear train

Post by DougE »

Hi people,

I know this is going to be rather simple for most of you to answer, but at the moment for me it is not.

Drive gear is 60 tooth.

Secondary is 30 tooth. 

(2:1 is required output)

I need the output to be on the same axis as the input (drive).

So,... I place another 30 tooth on the secondary shaft (offset compound)...

This then drives an 18 tooth to another 18 tooth.

The final 18 tooth drives a 30 tooth on the same axis as the drive gear.  Giving me location and ratio.

How do I place the 18 tooth gears so that the final 30 tooth gear will align correctly?  (I need the solution to then output the platen to bore the axis holes)

(Note; the 18 tooth gears are just arbitrary.  I have a lot of 'extras' that were from a previous [s]failure [/s]project.

I am sure there is a 'simple' method for figuring this out that I learned 20 years ago,... but hey,.. I was allowed to be stupid back then and say "...Why do I need to know this!!,.. it will never come in handy!"

I'll keep trying this with math and trig,... It's bugging me that I think there is a much 'simpler' solution or way to get to the solution!

Thank you

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Basic set-up for gear train

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

IF I properly understand you, youll find it a bit difficult in trig to figure it out. Its becase it boils down to an
equation with a great many roots. Do you have to use the 18 tooth gears up? It seems to be a bit redundant. If you just need
to have 2:1, and you accomplished it on the first set of gears.. 60 to 30 tooth. Then you could just look at the distance between those two gear centers..say 225mm's, change the tooth count on the spur gear screen to 30 and 30( as an example), click the question mark and ask it to calc a new center of 225 from the 100 its likely showing. It will generate a new DP or module to make two 30 tooth gears with the same center shaft distance as your 60 and 30. This will make it work with only 4 gears instead of 6. I do have this very problem in mind for future development to allow you to figure your original request out graphically by dragging the shaft around till things fit. We'll see how that turns out when I get there.. :)

Thx
Art