Worm Gears and Ticker program parameters?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
BillM
Old Timer

Worm Gears and Ticker program parameters?

Post by BillM »

Art:

A bit of background...I'm back to working on the 1860's E Howard Tower that I modeled using Gearotics back in 2016.

I'm trying to figure out how to repair the reduction gear set that winds the weights for the strike side of the clock. The gear set has a double worm drive that has an advertised 288:1 reduction.

There was a spare worm gear that someone, decades ago, had machined for the gear set but it didn't' look like other worm gears that I've seen. I figured that if I modeled the worm / worm gear that would give me some confidence that the gear could replace the destroyed worm gear.

I've been away from Gearotics, Vexx, and the Augie Vector processor for quite awhile. I am beginning to understand the Ticker program that you added to the Gearotics package. I managed to crash the worm gear portion of the program. The Ticker program starts OK. I can create spur gears but when I select worm gears the program crashes. I've tried re-running GearoticMotion.msi, over writing the existing installation, but the worm gear portion of Ticker still crashes.

Where are the default parameters for the worm gear stored? I think if I can reset the parameters then the Ticker program would not crash.

Is there a description of the parameters used for worm / worm gear creation in the Ticker program? I've unsuccessfully searched for definitions in the gearhead forum and also your Youtube channel.

Bill
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Worm Gears and Ticker program parameters?

Post by ArtF »

Hi Bill:

My version is somewhat different than yours, but the basic numbers should work.

I have Mod 1, 6 teeth, 28 ratio.. 5, 10, and 10 for the next 3 params for shaft diam..

Let me know if it makes it work. Id caution that the worms are hypogloboids, so may not match other worms, worms come in many flavours..

Art
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try out those numbers once I can get Ticker working again. It keeps crashing right now.

I'll submit info about these crashes under the bug report topic area as soon as I do some more investigation.

Bill
BillM
Old Timer

Post by BillM »

Art

Several years ago, I used Gearotics to model the gearing of the E Howard Tower Clock in the Greenmanville Meeting House at the Mystic Seaport Museum. Several months ago, a reduction gear box failed that is used to wind the strike side of the clock. I still have a lot to learn about worm gears since my background is in electrical engineering not mechanical engineering.

I'm hoping at some point as the Ticker program evolves that I might be able to document the design of the gear box. The box is a dual reduction worm drive that has an overall 288:1 reduction ratio. The input worm is cylindrical with three leads that drives a 24 tooth worm gear (8:1 reduction). This 24 tooth worm gear drives a second cylindrical worm. This second worm is single lead that drives a 36 tooth worm gear (36:1 reduction). I'm in the process of reverse engineering the gear box my measuring the worm and worm gears in the box.

I plan to continue experimenting with the Ticker program to see what other capabilities I might find useful.

Bill Michael
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi Bill:

Yes, I always think of your clock simulations as I add things to Ticker. Im hoping its not too long before we can see
how we can do in such simulations with 3d forces properly acting on them.

Art