Also Hi!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
ironrobot
Old Timer

Also Hi!

Post by ironrobot »

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm here mostly as the coach for high school robotics teams out of the School of Science and Engineering in Dallas. US News places the school at #12 nationally this year and #1 in Texas. I've got some really smart kids in this completely extracurricular program. This is my 10th year coaching the younguns on a volunteer basis. My varsity team (www.ironreignrobotics.org) has competed at the worlds championships for the last two years. I'm a software guy by trade but have been interested fabrication and robotics for a while. No real experience with subtractive machining, though we do have access to an aluminum-capable CNC router. But our team is pretty good at 3D printing in a variety of materials. For example, we can print GT2 pulleys in nylon. We've historically done most of our CAD work in Creo Parametric, but this year we are moving over to Fusion 360.

We haven't found money to purchase gearotic yet - our grant funding is tied mostly to specific hardware vendors, but we're working on it. For now the team is using the free version to learn about advanced gearing options. But we currently have to turn to other tools for anything we actually want to build. I'll post about a specific question we have separately. Here I just wanted to introduce the team. Hi!

Karim Virani
Coach for FTC teams 6832-Iron Reign, 3734 - Imperial Robotics, 15373 - Iron Core, and 15375 Iron Golem
ironreignrobotics.org
BobL
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Also Hi!

Post by BobL »

Karim;

Welcome To Gear Head Forum, we wish you an abundant amount of success with your class and team, and here to help should you have any questions.

Cheers
Bob
Gearotic Motion
Bob
ironrobot
Old Timer

Re: Also Hi!

Post by ironrobot »

Thanks! We'll try learn the fundamentals on our own so we don't pepper you with questions on the basics.