Adding an indicator hand to an hour wheel issue

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
mphil
Old Timer

Adding an indicator hand to an hour wheel issue

Post by mphil »

Hi All
I'm very new to Gerotic but loving it and the potential it has to enable me to make my clocks.
I have a question regarding adding indicators/hands to an hour wheel whilst its in the same position as in the minute shaft (IE. on an hour pipe and the min hand on the centre shaft). As much as I try I am unable to add an hour hand to the hour wheel. I include the file for reference.
thanks in advance. ;D
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Adding an indicator hand to an hour wheel issue

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

OK, when it comes to indicators, they can be a bit hard to manage as the automatic links
make them work a bit strange. So, lets say you have an indicator on the screen on the proper
shaft position so it looks right. Find the gear which, when selected in the tree shows that indicator
in the box labeled "This gear links to ..."

Select the indicator  in that box and press the "Remove linkage" button.
Now  find on the screen a gear which revolves once per period your interested in. If , for example,
you wish to simulate an hour hand, select the once per 12 hour gear.  With that gear selected,
press the button "Add Linkage". If the indicator was removed from linkages, it will now show up as an
option. Select it and it will now rotate in sync with that gear..

Art
mphil
Old Timer

Post by mphil »

;D ;D ;D Thanks Art. Pheeeew!! I can now see it's all in the linkages. It took me a while to get my head around this and I broke some links in the process but this just made me understand a little bit more. The min indicator can quite easily go on the the said shaft and it's just a case of linking up the hour indicator to the hour wheel.

Another topic I know but in the same test clock for me. I noticed whilst I was trying to find good modules for the motion wheels for the hour wheel/pipe I measured two shaft centres and arranged the modules that would get me the centre distances required but when I put them in to the project the distances were off visually,I had to alter quite a bit to that of the two measured distances. Do I go with the Math or the graphic display?

Great stuff.  ;)
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Im not sure how that can happen, but Id always go with the math...., and the display. If the display looks wrong, its quite possible it IS wrong, same with the math. In other words, if it looks wrong on either front its probably best to double check everything. There are some minor bugs where Gearotic may display a wrong number as pitch radius in some situations, but usually the display is correct, so measuring with onscreen ruler can sometimes help you be sure your correct.
  Gearotic is rules based, not physics, so its basically showing you extruded items rotating according to the ratios of their pitch radii, so if the distances are correct things will look as if they are meshing. if they look to be colliding or look far apart, they may indeed be. I have seen rare bugs where gears dont mesh, but generally it means tooth generation was 1/2 tooth off, so teeth can be in spaces, but again, this is rare and I think Ive caught pretty much all those types of failures. So all gears if properly place should appear to mesh properly as well.
  Once you "get" linkages, you can fix up near anything, and make interesting effects so its worth playing with. If your using the gear shaft distance calculator, make sure any suggested numbers are actually implemented in the results, it usually just adjusts your mod to one that allows a particular distance ..
(I use this to use up pulley belts laying around in my junk drawers, it allows making pulleys that use up
the belt and fit on shafts you already have in a unit. ) . Use the re-gen buttons frequently to make sure you don't "add to project" a gear or pulley that isnt really reflective of the numbers you've entered, some entries
auto-update a gear or pulley, others don't.

Have Fun
Art

mphil
Old Timer

Post by mphil »

Hi Art
Thanks for that! I'n the Gearotics defence I'm probably asking it some obscure module 1.93 or something, luckily I won't be using gear cutters. Also for myself for the motion work it isn't too important as I'll be importing the dxf. files in to Fusion and will be able to move them accordingly around the centre and so might use a round number for the mod.. All wheels will be laser cut and will be an hybrid electro mechanical so I'm only using the top three wheels and motion work and will be gravity driven. I'm going to base it around a rare Synchronome skeleton clock.

Kind regards
Mark