Straight bevel gears with 90? shaft angle but shallower profile angle

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Straight bevel gears with 90? shaft angle but shallower profile angle

Post by ArtF »

Hi Ron:

Sorry about that, the Gear Diamter is the diameter the Gear would have been if the teeth werent beveled in . In other words its the virtual gear the bevel was created from. In the new
software I actually show that beveling in on the creation screen so the user gets an idea abut how such a gear is derived. Bevels and helicals use "Virtual" spur gears based on normal
spur gear math, and then are modified in various ways. For example in a bevel the teeth get
twisted inwards to the cone angle, but if not twisted inwards they would have had a diameter of
"Gear Diam".  "Bevel outside diam" is then simply from a formula based on the cone angle and the original "Outside Diam".

In future that stat will be shown as "Virtual Gear Diam.". Facewidth is another similar thing, in future youll see "Facewidth" and "Axial Facewidth" to show the difference between the requested facewidth, and the resultant "Axial Facewidth" which is the facewidth twisted to the bevels cone and how wide that is in the axial plane.

In future Ill try to show as many stats about the gear as I can, and how they get formulated.

Thx

Art
thinkntink
Old Timer

Post by thinkntink »

Hi Art,

Thanks for the clarification. I suspected as much as soon as I took a look at "unfolding" a bevel gear.

By the way.  VERY clearly explained. I am slowly, but surely, developing some facility with gear terminology. Which is a good thing, since we are getting ready to spend a fair amount of money on a pre-pilot run of a new gear set and I have found that a lot of "gear folk" seem to be a clannish lot. If you don't speak the lingo, or at least a passable patois, you must be from out of town and worthy of suspicion.
Ron
Precisebits.com

What we need is not a change in leadership, it is a change in hearts
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

It IS very hard to get accurate information in this area. Gears are rarely discussed as to how or why they are designed as they are,
doing the math for the program, I daily think "Ahh..thats why...:), such as why helical must be larger than spurs, yet bevels are the same size.. .

Usually, the answer is in that math.

art
thinkntink
Old Timer

Post by thinkntink »

That is probably it.

I was led to believe, after talking to a couple of gear manufacturers that it involved lots of magic sauce and chicken blood in the hands of high-paid "Priests of Gear Lore".

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

I will send a picture of what we are making as soon as the simulation is done.

BTW.  Is this the best place to put a short tutorial on a usable process for going from Gearotic to full fledged 3D CAD files?
Ron
Precisebits.com

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Ron:

Sure, anywhere you like actually. Try "New Topic" to make a thread for it if you like, otherwise just post any information here. I do hope to add more support for making the outputs true CAD files soon, but any workarounds that uses have are appreciated when shared. I spend so much time coding that I appreciate any shortcuts anyone has. :)

Art
thinkntink
Old Timer

Post by thinkntink »

Is it OK if I send it to you in a doc file so that you can post it where you think it fits best?
Ron
Precisebits.com

thinkntink
Old Timer

Post by thinkntink »

Lets try that attachment again
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Ron
Precisebits.com

ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Thanks Ron:

A have created a new topic for this under the bevels machining topic.

Appreciate it,
Art