GT2 x 14mm pitch not supported

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
rgstrag
Old Timer

GT2 x 14mm pitch not supported

Post by rgstrag »

I am using a Gates Poly Chain Carbon GT belt in 14 pitch x 20mm width.
Gearotics software does not seem to offer support for the GT2 tooth profile in a 14mm pitch?
Does anyone have a drawing for this tooth profile?

Gates tells me that GT2-14 is compatible with the Poly Chain Carbon GT belts with a 14mm pitch. They say that that is not the case with smaller pitch lengths. This new belt is not compatible with HTD profiles either
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GT2 x 14mm pitch not supported

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

This is how most of their gates updates are. They hold the drawing very closely to their chest.
Its not a simply curve either, the other HTD and GT's are a multiple set of curves that intersect
to make a compound profile... that having been said, scaling up the 8 will probably only be out
by a percentage so small it would be unnoticeable in most applications. I dont know this,
but I suspect it. Id scale the gt2-8 by the 1.73 or whatever it is and see if it fits the belt. It may
wear 1% faster than the original, but it may not matter in your application. Or it may..or it may not
fit the belt..) , but Id give it a shot. Earlier upgrades to such belts had people reporting to me that
simple scaling made a pulley so similar it was hard to measure the difference.

Art
rgstrag
Old Timer

Post by rgstrag »

What I am really after is the tooth drawing for the Gates Poly Chain Carbon GT belt in a 14mm pitch x 20mm wide

Gates tells me that this is compatible with the GT2 in a 14mm pitch, but not compatible in the smaller pitch sizes.
So I am not sure that scaling up will work
ArtF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ArtF »

Hi:

Well, a Gt14 will be compatible with that spec at any width, width wont change the profile,
but though Gates claims incompatibility, I'd for sure have to scale one up, 3d print it and see
how it fits. Having done many of the original profiles and dealt with a few dozen people on
various issues with pulleys, Id still say chances are the profiles are very close. They basically
are created by analysing the way the rubber portion deforms on the radius of a pulley, but since
pulleys come in many radius's, the profiles are usually an amalgam of various specs. (Best at
one radius, poorest at another ). They look computer generated to me by something that is
attempting to find the optimal shape of the compressive sides on the pulley. I highly suspect
that shape is only slightly off the achievable curves of the previous sizes. (Let us know how it
fits if you do attempt it.) As to the curves, you may find them, but it took a long deep search
to find the originals I used for the 8mm.

Art