GearHeads Corner
November 19, 2019, 08:55:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Printer head for a mill  (Read 2676 times)
JustinO

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2013, 02:20:42 PM »

I'm intereste d in making a 3D printer head for my Sherline mill. I know this is not optimal for 3D printing, but I plan on doing some cylindric al, spherical, and other complex motion printing and am not concerned with speed.

Has anyone here done this or know where there is info?

Thanks.
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:20:08 AM »

Justin:

I have heard of this being done, Ive even considere d it myself. Id search the 3d printing forums for
some liek cnc 3d print mod or addon..I imagine somelpace they have such a thing. I hear theres
a mach3 plugin to control the head...

Art
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »

I wrote an article for the Digital Machinist Magazine about how to retrofit an existing cnc machine to do 3d printing. It explains everythin g you will need to know.  It was published in the Summer edition. If you go online to the digital machinist magazine web site http://www.digitalmachinist.net/downloads you can get a copy.
While my machine wasn't a Sherline the concept behind it is the same. I've attached a picture of the cover of the magazine.
Dan Mauch
20th Anniversa ry in CNC
www.camtr onics-cnc.com
dmauch@camtronics-cnc.com

I'm intereste d in making a 3D printer head for my Sherline mill. I know this is not optimal for 3D printing, but I plan on doing some cylindric al, spherical, and other complex motion printing and am not concerned with speed.

Has anyone here done this or know where there is info?

Thanks.

* 3dprinterrcnc.jpg (41.06 KB, 150x195 - viewed 297 times.)
dansfoundry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »

Here is the addon for Mach3  http://cnc2printer3d.wordpress.com/software/    Looks like I'll have to do it now that it is a MACH controlle d printer. Not sure what I will print but I can't resist :>) Dan
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:21:39 AM »

Here is the addon for Mach3  http://cnc2printer3d.wordpress.com/software/    Looks like I'll have to do it now that it is a MACH controlle d printer. Not sure what I will print but I can't resist :>) Dan

I used Nuri's thermosta tic controlle r with PID for my machine. And yes I used his interface but ran into some issues. I then created a new mach3.xml file just for my printer and it works great.
Dan Mauch
www.camtr onics-cnc.com
dansfoundry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »

Thanks Dan for the article, very informati ve and thanks for the xml file. I will now print something .   Dan Keith
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: