GearHeads Corner
July 10, 2020, 01:49:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DXF to solid in Inventor  (Read 14437 times)
J

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:28:59 AM »

Does anybody know how to convert the dxf files from GM to a solid that I can extrude in Inventor? Or even Solidwork s for that matter. I am using Inventor to design my assembly and want to make sure that gears are properly sized and adequate space allotted before I begin fabricati ng the assembly. I can get the gear into Inventor, but only as, what I am guessing, are splines. I'm no expert in Inventor and have only designed fully within Inventor. I've never really had to convert and import into Inventor, so I'm a bit lost when it comes to doing that. I've searched this forum, trolled the internet, and spent the last day and a half trying with poor results. Can somebody please point me in a direction .

I have access to use Inventor, Solidwork s, as well as Blender and MeshLAB.

Thanks,

J
Donovan Venuto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:30:49 AM »

If youíre Blender, Iíve found it best to export from Gerotic Motion as STL files.   This way, when I import new gears, theyíre appended to my file; however, the instructi ons below might help you with Inventor. 

1.   From Gerotic Motion, export gears as 2D DXF files
2.   Open Inventor
3.   Click the I
4.   Choose Open
5.   Choose Open -> Open inventor file or other types of CAD files
6.   Open your file and the DWG/DXF file wizard opens
7.   Click Next
8.   At the Layers and Object Import Options, click next again.
9.   At the Import Destinati on Options, Check 3D solids, Surfaces, Wires
10.   In the Destinati on for 2D data, select New Part and Project wires to 2D sketch
11.   Click Finished, and you should see your gearís 2d silhouett e. 
12.   Click Extrude on the toolbar.
13.   Select the silhouett e
14.   Click OK in the Extrude dialog.
J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »

Donovan,

First, Thank you for your quick reply. This problem is driving me nuts.

I have tried your idea, along with a myriad of others, and your way is the closest I can get with still have the entire gears geometry shown. However, the error I get when I try to extrude is "No valid closed regions could be generated for the profile selected. Try selecting a different profile." I've tried running the sketch doctor in Inventor, but that doesn't solve anything. I can extrude faces, one at a time, and maybe stitch them. Haven't tried to extrude them all yet, since there is a lot ( ~700 if I had to guess ).

If I import as a 3D model with 4 spokes, it removes half of the horizonta l spokes. I can then due a "Copy to construct ion" then copy back out of construct ion and have solid geometry that I can model off of. But that route I am missing 1/4 of the model. Not exactly helpful to have to go back and repair 25% Smiley

J
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:26:50 PM »

Donovan:

Kinda strange. GM works very hard to unsure unlike many programs that its dxf's are fully closed contours with no
overlap.  In facg GM will refuse to put out a dxf of an object unless it has previousl y been made an extruded solid,
thus proving to itself that a contour is a valid one. Is it possible inventor is filtering somehow perhaps to remove
small tolerance s? I dont use inventor so I cant say exactly what the error migth be here..

Art
J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:10:37 PM »

Art,

I'm assuming your reply was meant for me. I've attached a zip file with some screen shots of the imports from Inventor and Solidwork s. Most are from Inventor. Here is an explanati on of each file:

3D Import - This is what I see on import of 3d dxf file. The whole outline is there but 25% of the faces are missing it seems.

3D Import High Contrast - This is the exact same file just with the color scheme changed inside Inventor to show the outlines that exist.

2D Import - This is from a 2d dxf file. While everythin g is there, I run into the problem of Inventor saying "No valid closed region". Hovering over the item it shows it is made up of hundreds of little lines. I'm guessing it's a spline built object? Still new to some of this. At any rate Inventor tells me "No, you can't extrude".  Tongue

Extruded - This is how I finally was able to close the geometry and extrude the part. For some reason the 4 spoke gear has the hole issue but 5 doesn't. I import 3d dxf, stitch the object, new 2d sketch on top, and finally can extrude. This takes up a fair amount of system resources and Inventor tells me after 5-10 actions that I am out of memory. Probably because the object is still made up of 4,000 faces.

Solidwork s Full -  Shows how a stl file is imported into Solidwork s. It beats Inventor already, since Inventor won't even open that type of file. Sadly, I don't know how to use SW, I know Inventor. In this file you can see a rip across the center. Solidwork s-Full is a close-up view of this. It looks like a rip in the faces.

So this is the informati on that I have currently . Took about 4 days to get Inventor to extrude. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

J

* Gearotic.zip (370.27 KB - downloaded 311 times.)
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »

Hi:

I do see your trouble. Nasty. Firstly, Im perplexed why the 2d outline isnt extrudabl e. It is hundreds of lines, basically its a countour object  which has a start and an end point whihc are different . A contour by definitio n closes the object by putting a line from end to start. the 2d profile is always a closed profile with no intersect ions.. In fact, its exactly the profile I use to create
the programs solids. I use that 2d and command an extude. Never seem to have any trouble there unless I use too many points which is when my solids library will complain.
  The 3d dxf and the stl's are created by that library. They do not have great triangula tion in them, though they load in other cad programs such as vectric and rhino. I use Netfab for looking
into them, it will repair some faults and its free so you may want to download that as well.
   Ill do some investiga tion here to see if I can stop the solids generator from making that slit in the triangula tion of the faces. It seems to me to be the source of the problem, but
its a licensed library so I can be sure I can fix it till they release an update..

Thx

art
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:49:48 PM »

J:

While debugging this Ive found that while my older stl's had that slah in them, the current version doesnt. So can you verify your on
the latest developme nt version? If not, can you upgrade to 4.79 and see if its gone?

Thx
Art

J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:32:55 PM »

Ahh... I went with the "Current Release" at 4.67. I was thinking the "Current Developme nt" was a Beta, and I wasn't wanting to run into problems premature ly. LOL. I will download the newer version and give it a go. I'll post the results once I have them.

Thanks,

J
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »

Hi J:

I just reuploade d as todays release had some test code in it that failed
on someones machine. I removed the suspect code so it shoudl work fine.

Thx
Art
J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »

Art,

I am now using 4.79. The seam issue is no longer present. Congrats to you! Smiley The failing to extrude a 2D dxf still is an issue in Inventor. Still says the same message. But I think that is a short coming of Inventor, since it is the only program giving me that complaint . I think I need to learn how to use Solidwork s instead. I really appreciat e your help with this. Oh and I forgot to tell you, the program is awesome!

J
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »

J;

Glad to hear. Thx for the report.

Art
wjh30

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 12:58:49 PM »

Solidwork s hangs trying to do anything with the 2d DXF of GM.
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 06:52:11 AM »

Solidwork s seems to dislike all the small segments in the DXF's
from gearotic. I do have reports though that if imported to Vexx, and
then converted to "Line/Arc/Circle" with the conversio n tool,
they can then be saved and loaded by SolidWork s.

Art
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: