GearHeads Corner
November 19, 2019, 10:20:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3d printed helical gear  (Read 4878 times)
danmauch

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »

I printed this out as a test of my cnc machine retrofitt ed with Mach3 and a stepper extruder.
Dan Mauch

* DSC00429 (Small).JPG (73.66 KB, 720x480 - viewed 512 times.)
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:42:31 PM »

Dan:

Looks good. Your resolutio n seems to be getting better each iteration ..

Art
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »

The key to a good print using Mach3 and a stepper extruder is the calibrati on of the feed rate of the filament. That and a few other parameter changes in Mach3 made all the differenc e.  I read a tutorial  on the slic3r.or g site that mentioned the way to calibrate the extruders feed rate. I have a few more tweaks to do but it's getting pretty good.  Thanks again for mqach3 and GM. Wow! They are awesome!!!

Dan Mauch
Bloy

Wave goes here :)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »

Hi Dan,
I impressed with the gear you extruded!  I was wondering if you had posted somewhere pictures of your Z axis setup.
If not, would it be possible to put up a few shots of your stepper extruder system?  ...and too, would the extruder also work using a servo unit with encoder?

Thanks,
John (Bloy)

Thanks,
John M
Sturgeon Bay, WI
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:10:31 AM »

I just finished writing an article for a magazine called digital machinist . They said it would probably be published in the summer edition. In that article I included several pictures of my retrofitt ed machine. I'll post the one about the machine and the extruder.  I would think almost any half way decent 3 axis  machine using mach3, the slic3r program ,stepper plastrude r extruder and the Gnexlab temperatu re controlle r could be used . The only issue is how practical is it? Most prints are about 50Kb and some files could take several hours ruuning at 900mm a minute. So you also need a machine with no or very low backlash.
One thing I discovere d is that while I can create a gear in GM and save it as a stl file that slicing program need then it could be difficult to modify the gear for let say adding a boss so you could use a set screw with it. I found that I could save the GM stl file and then open it in Bobcad 24. Then in BC24 modify the gear for what I wanted to add. Then save the file as a stl file and run in in the Slic3r program and then onto Mach3 and the printer.

Dan Mauch
Camtronic s Inc

* DSC00421 (Small).JPG (75.26 KB, 720x480 - viewed 416 times.)

* DSC00418 (Small).JPG (96.15 KB, 480x720 - viewed 424 times.)

* DSC00415 (Small).JPG (93.31 KB, 720x480 - viewed 391 times.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:20:23 AM by danmauch » Logged
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 12:22:10 PM »

Hi Dan:

Your right, speed seems to eb the enemy. Im still working on my 3d printer.. we're now making a powder printer instead thinking it
may be faster..a nd perhaps more experimen tal in terms of what kinds of powder can be used. As we go Ill let you know how it looks. Smiley

Art
Bloy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »

Thanks Dan,
  Wow! that gear is a lot smaller than I initially thought!
There are quite a few flavors of the extruder available out there.
all of those(that I have seen) also use a stepper motor as the force to move the wire.
I've got a few very small 48V servo motors from a ebay buy.  I was thinking the stepper could be replaced with a 4th axis servo.  The others would be used to cobble together a fairly tight three axis PCB table upon which to create the gears.... .for fun of course!  

Or am I making it harder than it is?  Smiley

Also, From the pictures you posted, I can't tell if you are heating the table, or if you heated it from the start for sticktion . Maybe the table material you use allows for adhesion with the ABS?

Thanks for the info.
John
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:58:08 PM by Bloy » Logged

Thanks,
John M
Sturgeon Bay, WI
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »

Most of the stepper systems use a 6.5/1 gearhead motor. There  is no reason why a servo motor would work except for the torque issue and mounting. I got my extruder from http://www.makergear.com/products/plastruder  . If you contact them they may be willing to sell you the kit less the motor and gear head. Or you could design your own mechanism and just use their hot end.
No you are not making it harder than it is.
The XY stages are not heated but I do have a heated build platform that is show in the pictures with the 4 standoff supportin g it. It is mearly a Printed circuit board with traces . See the attached.

I could have easily made a larger gear but wanted to see how a small gear came out.

I did a video of the gear and will see if I can upload it.  For some reason I am having problems with win 7 and videos. 
Dan Mauch
Camtronic s Inc

* heater-board.pdf (3.03 KB - downloaded 193 times.)
Bloy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »

Okay! Now that I look harder, I see wires circling one leg of the platform. I guess those might be the electrica l connectio ns to the heated platform.   Yah, I meant the platform and not the actual xy table.
Thanks for that pdf of the traces on the platform.

I will look into obtaining just the extruder/heater unit.

One more queation. ..
What keeps the molten "plastic" (ABS?) from oozing out of the top instead of only at the nozzle?  Is there some sort of "O"-ring in there that seals the wire/filament as it enters the heat chamber?  Or is it just the presssure of the leading unmelted wire against the nozzle.
 I'm sure there must be cut-away diagrams depicting this.  I'll look around the web more closely.  

Well, either way I will find out when I settle on what heater/nozzle to use.

Thanks Dan again for your continued support

John
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:28:37 PM by Bloy » Logged

Thanks,
John M
Sturgeon Bay, WI
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »

The melting filamnet does ooze out of the top because of the close fit between the opening in the heating element. The thick melted abs vicosity isn't thin enought to ooze past the opening.
 I am going to upload a video in a few minutes.

Dan Mauch
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »

I meant the ABS doesn't ooze out the top because of the close fit and the viscosity of the meted plastic.
Dan mauch
Bloy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 11:08:53 AM »

More than...
..just curious.  

Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:47:46 AM by Bloy » Logged

Thanks,
John M