GearHeads Corner
August 03, 2020, 03:04:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hypocycloid Gear  (Read 34176 times)
dhugger

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2014, 08:45:16 AM »

A couple years back, an interest in hypocyclo id gears began growing in me, particula rly the idea of using a dual stage design. I couldn't find munch informati on online in terms of the math behind them. Everythin g I found seemed to require a very specific set of parameter s. And, I wanted to build a clock with hypocyclo id rescuers, so I began experimen ting with and developin g the mechanism s on my own. I eventuall y came up with a set of equation that worked and used them to wrote a Python script to generate the parameter s for dual stage reducers. That script is here: http://www.derekhugger.com/tools/dsHypoGen.zip

The clock I made that takes advantage of this reduction method is here: http://www.derekhugger.com/riven.html

-Derek
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2014, 10:19:43 AM »

Derek:

That is one excellent piece of timekeepe r.  I bow in your general direction .
Hypo's are one the modules I need to get to in GT. Ive been slow because I think it
deserves a fair amount of attention and options, much more so than GM had.
Yours is an inspiring piece, Ill give it much more thought now that I know what
I need to compete against.. Smiley

Thx for the informati on..

Art
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2014, 11:49:06 AM »

Really nice work. You probably could have saved yourself some time if you used CamBam. There is a hypercycl oid plugin for it. It works pretty well. I have machined a couple of dual stage gears with it. One problem is that one of the variables it lists as a diameter but it's really a radius. Or vice a versa. If you would like a copy of the plugin let me know and I'll email it or post it. While Cambam costs $75 you could use the trial version with the plugin. You can also animate the mechanism . Then when you see how nice it is you can buy the license. Cambam has many other nice features. But I mainly use gearotic for gears and spokes.
Dan Mauch

A couple years back, an interest in hypocyclo id gears began growing in me, particula rly the idea of using a dual stage design. I couldn't find munch informati on online in terms of the math behind them. Everythin g I found seemed to require a very specific set of parameter s. And, I wanted to build a clock with hypocyclo id rescuers, so I began experimen ting with and developin g the mechanism s on my own. I eventuall y came up with a set of equation that worked and used them to wrote a Python script to generate the parameter s for dual stage reducers. That script is here: http://www.derekhugger.com/tools/dsHypoGen.zip

The clock I made that takes advantage of this reduction method is here: http://www.derekhugger.com/riven.html

-Derek
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:59:48 PM by danmauch » Logged
Dan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2014, 03:20:20 PM »

Beautiful work, Derek.

Dan
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2014, 06:50:40 PM »

Dan, CamBam's $149.  You must have bought it a long time ago...

It's on my to-buy list when I get quit playing around with 3D printers and get back to CNC routering .

Kirk
mrehmus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2015, 12:07:03 AM »

I would like to know if this capabilit y is in version 2. Harmonic drives are extremely expensive, even used for us amateurs. I'd like to build a 4th axis with this type of reduction .
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2015, 06:23:26 AM »

Hi:

You can design them, but its messy. There only available as they are a side cousin of the cage gear. Try a cage gear as a planetary gear, that basically is a hypocyclo idic reduction . It is my plan to make a module to concatena te them to make a full reduction gearbox of them, but as
of now you can only design the one stage at a time. The math and shapes are fine and work, btu adding them otgether is above the means
of a lot of people so th eplan is to make a module that can do it. It may happen this fall. There are a lot fo desireabe l routines so Ill be
asking the users of the group what priority to assign to the ideas presented for this years developme nt period.

Thx
Art
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: